• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits are digging!

Firstly; why would you want to stop them?

They are rabbits, digging is a totally natural behaviour to them, you won't be able to 'stop' it.

You can provide them with an enriching environment, tunnels, boxes, hidey holes etc in their run.

Is their run attached to their hutch, or is it seperate?

Could you mesh under the grass/soil, relay it then have the run there, so they can dig safely?

Ours did that - started to ruin my lawn. I put the run on concrete. That stopped them. It's also done their claws/nails the world of good as in they don't ever need clipping.

However, when they run free they have found a little diggy spot which causes no harm to my lawn or to them and they can dig a tunnel if they want but they won't be able to get out.

Provide them with a diggy box - a small but sturdy low slung garden pot filled with compost or soil. Mine love that too!

Rabbits have to dig, it's natural, but I fully agree that if they dig themselves out of their run they could be putting themselves in danger i.e. eating plants they shouldn't, escaping even, or being something from above's dinner if said something is big enough, and ruining the lawn of course.

Firstly; why would you want to stop them?

They are rabbits, digging is a totally natural behaviour to them, you won't be able to 'stop' it.

You can provide them with an enriching environment, tunnels, boxes, hidey holes etc in their run.

Is their run attached to their hutch, or is it seperate?

Could you mesh under the grass/soil, relay it then have the run there, so they can dig safely?

the run and hutch are seperate.

Ours did that - started to ruin my lawn. I put the run on concrete. That stopped them. It's also done their claws/nails the world of good as in they don't ever need clipping.

However, when they run free they have found a little diggy spot which causes no harm to my lawn or to them and they can dig a tunnel if they want but they won't be able to get out.

Provide them with a diggy box - a small but sturdy low slung garden pot filled with compost or soil. Mine love that too!

Rabbits have to dig, it's natural, but I fully agree that if they dig themselves out of their run they could be putting themselves in danger i.e. eating plants they shouldn't, escaping even, or being something from above's dinner if said something is big enough, and ruining the lawn of course.

no but they are getting it done soon as.

That may help. As Gray says it is natural behaviour but hormones seem to make it worse. If you can connect the hutch to run somehow that may help too. If they are digging to the extent of starting tunnels you need to mesh the run or they may dig out. If they are unattended in the run they it also needs to be meshed or on concrete or a predator could dig in as well.

That may help. As Gray says it is natural behaviour but hormones seem to make it worse. If you can connect the hutch to run somehow that may help too. If they are digging to the extent of starting tunnels you need to mesh the run or they may dig out. If they are unattended in the run they it also needs to be meshed or on concrete or a predator could dig in as well.

thanks for the help:thumb:

Back