• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pets at home insurance

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Given Pets at Home are the only company who will insure rabbits over 5 years old we were thinking of getting Honey and any possible new abbits insured with them. Is anyone with them and how have you found them so far? Honey is prone to gut stasis but hasn't actually required a vet visit for this in over a year due to being treated at home on stocked up meds. I take it they wouldn't pay out for this and related illness if it came to it? Roly's recent vet bill was £600 for an episode of bloat and if Honey ever suffers from the same I take it we can't claim?

We're just trying ot work out whether it's actually worth insuring Honey or not. We'd also like to insure any other rabbit we got from a rescue but we're unsure if we'd get away with this given there'd be little - no vet history.

I have recently insured 3 of mine with p@h. I haven't had to claim yet so can't comment on that part of it, however my understanding is the same as your regarding the pre-existing conditions. Bunny and Poppy both have had stasis/gas in the past, and I would fully expect neither of them to be covered for this on the insurance. The reason I got insurance was after reading a few stories on here of bunnies who had broken legs, been injured in fights etc and insurance had covered some vast vet bills.

I wish I had insured mine sooner, but I do feel a bit more peace of mind now knowing that some things could be covered.

I insured Artie (6.5 years) with them last year - he had pre-existing conditions of gut stasis and bladder sludge, it was a 'should I - shouldn't I' decision. A couple of months later he developed kidney stones which they paid out for - in full, to the limit of the cover. Taking that insurance out was the best decision I've ever made. He also had a £200 episode of gut stasis and another £200 gut stasis related to bladder sludge last year which of course I couldnt claim for - but I did get the £1K back which was a huge relief.

I'd have no hestitation in recommending them. I have 3 more policies with them since.

I know I'm biased but I'm moving all my policies from Pets At Home after the debacle we've had with them this week. The staff have been vague at best and evasive when trying to contact them about my claim. They've even had the cheek to say someone didn't work there !!

They wont' give you timescales regarding getting an answer and after being told they'd possibly handed my dog a death sentence by not paying his claim, they told me to 'have a nice day' !!!

As soon as I've got Fidget through his operation, I will be moving all my policies to another insurer - the trouble is, I now need to find out where to transfer them to ?

I realise that mine is an individual problem, but that's just my opinion I'm afraid

I know I'm biased but I'm moving all my policies from Pets At Home after the debacle we've had with them this week. The staff have been vague at best and evasive when trying to contact them about my claim. They've even had the cheek to say someone didn't work there !!

They wont' give you timescales regarding getting an answer and after being told they'd possibly handed my dog a death sentence by not paying his claim, they told me to 'have a nice day' !!!

As soon as I've got Fidget through his operation, I will be moving all my policies to another insurer - the trouble is, I now need to find out where to transfer them to ?

I realise that mine is an individual problem, but that's just my opinion I'm afraid

I would leave Fidget with P@H otherwise whatever he was treated for will be excluded at the new company.

For any other pets I would recommend PetPlan

I would leave Fidget with P@H otherwise whatever he was treated for will be excluded at the new company.

For any other pets I would recommend PetPlan

That's just the problem, they're refusing to pay out on his condition anyway so I've got nothing to lose :censored:

For me its a case of either pets at home or no insurance at all. Petplan arent an option as they point blank refuse to insure honey because of her age.

For me its a case of either pets at home or no insurance at all. Petplan arent an option as they point blank refuse to insure honey because of her age.

To be fair if it's a case of Pets At Home insurance or no insurance at all then naturally I'd say get the insurance

I just wanted to give an opinion based on my experience this week

Back