• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teddy Widder Breed

skipbj

New Kit
Does anyone know if you can get this breed in the UK they seem to be in the NL and Belgium look a bit like an extra fluffy lionhead. Please help as I have totally fallen in love with them. Thanks for looking

They're called lionheads here (Or lionlops if you're talking about the lop eared version), although a lot of 'lionheads' here are crossbreeds with very much fluff at all, if you're looking for a lionhead like the teddy widder try search for 'double maned' (these are the really fluffy ones), or even 'angora', some rescue sites call really long haired lionheads angoras, and if you're looking for a fluffly lionlop again try double maned or 'mini cashmere'

They're slightly different demi, teddy widders use the same genes as our lionheads but they've been selected to have fluff all over like a slightly shorter coated cashmere, you can sometimes find them in lionhead litters but theres not many about and i doubt they will be, the coat is terrible for matting and the BRC said a few years ago they wouldn't accept any more breeds with coats that could affect welfare, they have recently granted a development certificate to the dwarf fox (longhaired netherland) but they have a very different coat that is 'apparently' easier to manage

Happy to help. If you can let us know whereabouts you are based and how far you are willing to travel we might be able to help narrow down the search a bit. Although a lot of rescues on here rehome nationally. :thumb:

Teddy Widders are a German breed. They're lovely, and yes they're different from lionheads - much fluffier all over and with lop ears (widder means lop in German, zwergwidder=dwarf lop). I think a double-maned lionlop is most similar to what you're after. Keep in mind you'll have to brush him for the rest of lis life though, or his fur will mat so badly he won't be able to move.

Back