• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny not eating

binkybunnyox

Warren Scout
Pepper hasn't eaten since Sunday morning :( & I'm starting to get rather worried . Have given her an injection of metocloporide & have been trying to give her recovery food, she.is getting v stressed by this :( have also tried some lactose free vegetable baby food. Although she hasn't eaten much of either of them . She is still pooing, but they are tiny in comparison to her usual golden boulders ! Have also given her a little fibreplex . Not sure what else to do atm ?

just an idea....could she be in pain possibly?
Do you have any metacam you could give her...if you have medicated her before?

Have you tried all her favourite treats?

What did the vet say?

Have you tried Herbs and her fav treats, I would just let her eat whatever she wanted at the minute.

I think she needs to go back to the vet to have painkillers and she will be dehydrated by now I imagine. :(
Have they checked her teeth?

I would take her to the vet as soon as possible. She is most likely to need fluids and pain relief as well as the gut motility drugs. Try giving her cooled boiled water in a bowl.

Nicki

She hasn't seen the vet . I spoke with the vet this morning & she said I could give her 0.3mls of metocloprimide 3x daily if needed & recommend the fibreplex aswell . Her teeth were checked a few weeks ago when she was in getting her tear duct flushed. I have managed to tempt her with some coriander, she only had a lil nibble then ran away to her bed :( she is still sitting up & grooming herself . Will keep an eye on her tonight & if she goes flat will take her to the emergency vet. Otherwise will take her in tomorrow & consider putting her on fluids . Scared to go to sleep incase she gets worse !

Thanks for replying so quickly

I have some metacam in the house, should I give her some ?

I personally would still take her in. My bun went downhill very quickly with out food and was dehydrated and the vet was unale to save her even with the injections.

She needs to be examined by a Vet. The Vet cannot diagnose over the phone. What if she has a full blockage, giving metoclopromide in that situation could prove to be fatal :cry:

The Vet cant check for Dental problems without looking in Buns mouth, Vet cant assess other possible physiological problems or even make the most basic observations unless he/she sees and examines the Rabbit

I would get your Rabbit to the Vet within the next few hours.

How is Pepper this morning?
Did you visit the emergency vet through the night?
If not I reAlly think you Gould take her today as a matter of urgency! Bunnies need toeatcontinually to keep their gut moving.
I assume she had been seen by a vet due to the medication you gave her.
She needs a thorough check over from head to toe by a vet as previous posters have said.

She needs to be examined by a Vet. The Vet cannot diagnose over the phone. What if she has a full blockage, giving metoclopromide in that situation could prove to be fatal :cry:

The Vet cant check for Dental problems without looking in Buns mouth, Vet cant assess other possible physiological problems or even make the most basic observations unless he/she sees and examines the Rabbit

I would get your Rabbit to the Vet within the next few hours.

Totally agree!

Hi,

Just a little update on Pepper, she had seen a vet on a Monday morning as I actually work in a vet practice, it was under the instructions of Peppers vet that I gave the metocloprimide and fibreplex (had also been syringe feeding recovery food) as she hadnt eaten overnight on Sunday, she didnt improve much and stopped pooing overnight on Monday :( so back in she went on Tuesday morning, she had a bit of a temprature, so we added in baytril and zantac, & gave her an inj of vetergesic, she has some spurs on her teeth but my vet said they werent overgrown or anything and that this shouldnt have stopped her eating, she also gave me some liquid paraffin (to see if she would pass any poos) to give her but as she said it can cause pneoumonia if squirted in too fast & ingested by the bunny, I didnt give her this as I didnt feel comfortable doing so. She was so misreable overnight that I phoned peppers vet who was not on call that night ! she suggested to try some beter grain and to put her on fluids, we met at the practice and dripped her up. She has really perked up since :D is now eating, drinking without tempting her and pooing ! & will even look for a nose rub when you walk past her bed !

We also found a small lump/pus thingy in her vagina ? Not sure what it was :S
She is continuing to improve so hopefully its clear sailing from here on out !

Why don't you try hand feeding Pepper? It might just work. Did Pepper get some med from the vet?

Last edited:
Hi Ellie, thanks for your suggestion..pepper is eating fine now :) she was getting inj of metocloprimide, & baytril, fibreplex orally, we were also giving inj of vetergesic as metacam can cause painful gastric ulcers . She wouldn't touch anything, not even banana which she would've usually had your hand off for ! :lol: so we had to syringe feed pepper recovery food which ended in her spitting most of it out :( as nothing was really helping we placed her on a drip . After that she began eating, drinking and pooing as normal :D she's fine now...she had some uneaten caecals the pther day so I added some pro fibre in with her pellets and none tday :) though her poos are quite dark tday, so will be keeping a close dye on her just now :thumb:

Hi Ellie, thanks for your suggestion..pepper is eating fine now :) she was getting inj of metocloprimide, & baytril, fibreplex orally, we were also giving inj of vetergesic as metacam can cause painful gastric ulcers . She wouldn't touch anything, not even banana which she would've usually had your hand off for ! :lol: so we had to syringe feed pepper recovery food which ended in her spitting most of it out :( as nothing was really helping we placed her on a drip . After that she began eating, drinking and pooing as normal :D she's fine now...she had some uneaten caecals the pther day so I added some pro fibre in with her pellets and none tday :) though her poos are quite dark tday, so will be keeping a close dye on her just now :thumb:

It's good that Pepper is eating after all that medicine and recovery food! Hopefully she will keep on eating.:D

Back