• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People that use newspaper in litter trays

nessar

Warren Veteran
Those of you that use newspaper and hay for the buns trays - how many sheets of newspaper do you use and how often do you clean it out?

Decided to try it and I've been using about 4-5 sheets, in two trays for two rabbits, and its really stinky after only a day!

1 newspaper per tray with hay on top changed very other day depending on how mucky it is. Certain trays get worse than others and of course Im a bit pickier in summer than winter

I probably used about half of newspaper opened. I found that mine just dig up their litter and hey to get to the paper and then shred it so I've given up :roll:

I have two buns - and use two whole newspapers - hay on top and change it morning and night.:wave:

A decent wad of paper - 6 - 8 sheets, then a lump of hay and I change their beds daily if they have wee'd. If they have only pooped, I just shake them out and replace the hay.

I use around 10 sheets :) But, I sometimes put more in the corner they like to wee in the best :D

Olly and Honey are only little mini lops so don't wee as much, I use one whole newspaper in their tray. Daisy and Digby are big bunnies, they have 3 whole newspaper layers in the part of their tray where they wee the most!! This ensures that the bottom layer never gets properly wet, so the actual tray doesn't need cleaning very often! All newspaper and hay is changed daily :wave:

I find it depends on the rabbits. Mini and Mischa drink a lot so I tend to use two thick newspaper and do it every day although since this new bale they haven't drunk as much so I'm doing it every other day at the moment. The lionheads I tend to use one thin newspaper or half a thick one.

2 whole newspapers, good layer of megazorb then hay :lol:

So glad i know someone at Tesco now who gives me some 'damaged un-returnables' :D

I use different amounts according the which set of rabbits but on average about 6 sheets topped with hay changed daily or sometimes twice daily if necessary.
I collect newspapers from several friends and work colleagues.

I use 1 newspaper....daily mail size!......and a good handful of hay. The hay is changed daily and the newspaper every other day.

Now the weather is better and bunny is getting more freedom she uses the garden more than the litter tray :D

One newspaper and hay. Hay is topped up every day and the litter tray every other day. Unless it's really hot and then I change it once or twice a day depending on flies.

I use 3 or 4 double pages (so 6-8 layers in all) topped with hay. I have two bunnies with two trays and they get replaced daily.

I use 6 pages to fit in Donny and Leo's storage boxes and Lola's hooded cat tray and just fill them with hay :) Poppy just has wood based cat litter :)

Back