• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woried about Apache, please help :( UD post 29!!

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
He was fine this morning but now won't take any food, this is SO out of character that I cant even describe it

Looks like hes been sitting in his wee too

Hes "quiet" but fought when I picked him up which I guess is a good sign

Emegency vet isnt answering, its been ages since Ive dealt with poorly bunnies, have forgotten everything, is there owt I can do? :( :( poor little man

Last edited:
Keep him warm
Possibly syringe water (but not food)

To be honest that's all I'd be doing and rushing to the vets which is obviously what you are trying to do.

I really hope it's nothing serious and you can contact the vet soon.

Edit to add: Gather evidence to tell vet (though obviously difficult when bonded) as to whether he's eaten, pooped etc. You might be able to work out how long he's been ill (thought no doubt vet can tell from gut sounds etc).

Last edited:
This ishow Bunzle was when he had a kidney infection :(

I put some of his pellets in warm water and syringe fed him some. I stayed up with him through the night (we laid on my bed together) and made sure he was kept warm. The vet gave him injections of anti biotics and painkillers and he had Zantak and Avipro to stimulate his appetite.

Try not to panic for the buns sake :) Keep trying the vet. Have you tried to look for an alternative emergency vet to just call and get advice til you can get hold of yours?

I have my fingers crossed for you x

I'm back, he isnt, they wanted him in overnight :( Still not sure if that was the right decision :?

Apparently his tummy is very full and not making much noise...hes had metaclop, painkiller and s/c fluids...the vet seemed a bit negative and kept saying what a serious condition stasis is for rabbits, if anyone could tell me of their experiences where bunnies have made it, I would be very grateful.....

I'm to phone and check on him tomorrow morning, if anyone can think of anything I should ask etc please say, my brain is frazzled already....are there any diagnostic type things that need to be done if he doesnt improve?? We have no idea whats caused this. and I have to be up at 4.30 for work....and my taxi driver drove like a complete imbecile so now I feel really sick too. :?

He seemed fairly alert though and was hopping on and off the roof of his carrier while waiting for injections, and nuzzling my hand, thats a good sign, right??? :(

*If* it is 'just' stasis then the prognosis is really good if he's getting the right treatment. The treatment sounds good, the only but that would concern me was how negative the vet was, but that may be just his personality and no reflection on his skill as a vet :? The subcut fluids definitely help me believe the vet knows what he's doing.

My buns must have had 20 - 30 "just" stasis (ie belly ache with no other underlying condition) episodes between them. All recovered with appropraite care. Both Binky and Barnaby have had the unsual presentation of very full stomach which has caused them to stop eating and they had the same treatment regime Apache is on (albiet Domperidone instead of Metaclop). Binky took a day or two to recover but Barnaby was all bright and back to his usual self the following morning. It's a mystery as to what caused it as he only had hay to stuff himself full of :? Binky, I believe, ate the contents of his litter tray which was straw based pellets, which obviously didn't pass through his digestive system very quickly and caused belly ache.

If there still appears to be something wrong tomorrow (or seriously wrong before then) I would expect them do run blood tests and do an abdominal x-ray. This especially because of the urine soaked legs - looking for kidney/bladder problems, could be bladder sludge/stones etc causing the pain. (Though very full stomach doesn't tie in with that theory).

From what you describe of his demeanour hopefully there's nothing too serious going on.

Smudge has had three stasis episodes and come out of each and back to himself within a couple of days. Sounds like he's getting everything he needs. Hope he starts eating and pooping soon. Xx

Thanks so much both of you, that gives me some hope, maybe I'll even be able to get a few mins sleep before work tomorrow!

Shes a good vet, Ive seen her before and she worked a near-miracle on my elderly chinchilla, hopefully she was just making sure I knew it could go either way....

thanks again, I'll update tomorrow, off to bed now hopefully x

Hi all

He has eaten a bit today but still isnt "right" so they're keeping him in....obv I want him back asap but am pleased hes eaten :)

Off work tomorrow so even if he cant come home I might be able to visit him :)

Thanks again to all who posted xx

Back