• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobby has snuffles people with Snuffle buns

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
:( I came home from work on Friday, to a very unhappy bunny.

Bobby hadn't eaten all day, she was scrunched up and she was making really loud noises from her nose.:shock:

We went straight to the vet and she was prescribed Baytril.

Since then she has perked up, I have force fed her friday night, but by late that night she was eating on her own.

The vet has said she doesn't think that it is life threatening but it will probably be recurring.

Bobby has had quite a few episodes of not eating, so I think that this is the primary cause of it.

I have searched the net, and some sites say it's contagious and others don't.

Any advise on keeping a snuffle bun happy and having a long life.

Thanks

Hey Shelly,

Sorry you are struggling with Bobby - poor little lady.

i have a VERY snuffly bun, Ginger as you may know.

Is she currently snuffly? Does she have any discharge? Has she had any metacam at all?

If she is going to be a 'snuffle' bun, there are a few rules to follow, but i'm very much all for one.

Keep stress to a minimum.

Stress can cause the most nasty flare-ups and make things ever so much worse.

If you are going to try and treat this, be prepared to be in for the long haul. She may need tests (C&S), further anti-biotic treatment etc.

But you're not alone, remember that.

Hey Shelly,

Sorry you are struggling with Bobby - poor little lady.

i have a VERY snuffly bun, Ginger as you may know.

Is she currently snuffly? Does she have any discharge? Has she had any metacam at all?

If she is going to be a 'snuffle' bun, there are a few rules to follow, but i'm very much all for one.

If you are going to try and treat this, be prepared to be in for the long haul. She may need tests (C&S), further anti-biotic treatment etc.

But you're not alone, remember that.

Hi Gray,

No she seemed to get over the "Snuffley episode" really quickly, she doesn't have pain relief at present just her anti biotics. No runny eyes or mucus.

I have never heard her struggle like that was very upsetting.

The vet told me to give her a week on these anti biotics and go back if I am concerned.

She seems perfectly normal now, eating drinking pooping ect.

So stress seems to be a bit of a factor then?

I must admit I am glad I have finally got to the bottom of what has been wrong with her.

:thumb:. I have a snuffly bun too: Bunny. Stress definitely makes his symptoms a lot worse. A trip to the vet's will cause him to have discharge all around his nostrils :cry:. We just have to try and reduce uncomfortable situations as much as we can for him.

I hope she responds to the baytril. Poppy, one of my other buns has the occasional snuffly flare-up, but responds extremely well to antibiotics, and it clears it up. Vibes for you and Bobby that she can shake the worst quickly x

Hi Gray,

No she seemed to get over the "Snuffley episode" really quickly, she doesn't have pain relief at present just her anti biotics. No runny eyes or mucus.

I have never heard her struggle like that was very upsetting.

The vet told me to give her a week on these anti biotics and go back if I am concerned.

She seems perfectly normal now, eating drinking pooping ect.

So stress seems to be a bit of a factor then?

I must admit I am glad I have finally got to the bottom of what has been wrong with her.

'Snuffles' covers a great number of infections, so its difficult to be exact.

Stress is a HUGE factor for snuffles bunnies, needs to be kept minimal.

If she gets it again, it *may* be worth seeing if the vet gives metacam, even a lowish dose to act as an anti-inflammatory, which is what Ginger went on it for to start with, but now covers teeth too for pain relief :wave:

Hugs, not much fun having a poorly bunny.

If the baytril seems to help I would be inclined to ask for a longer course, two weeks rather than one. The reason being you need to make sure you get all the infection otherwise it can become immune to the antibiotics and come back stronger. For snuffly infections I believe you should throw everything at them.

Other than that all you can do is keep treating it when it reappears. If it happens a lot you can ask for a sensitivity test but she must have been off antibiotics for at least a week to get a proper result. This will show you what antibiotic will be best against the infection. Grim has never had one as I don't want to take him off antibiotics and we just try different ones to see which work. :?

Like Gray said, keeping stress to a minimum is key. Also eliminating dust if possible. If you use hay as a bedding think about keeping it in the litter trays and hay racks and use fleeces in stead or similar. tThe other thing that seems to affect Grim is the weather, heat especially. He does well outside in the winter. And metacam always helps too.

Thanks for the tips, I am going to ask my vet about a longer course of ABX.

She hates it, but we are of an understanding now, if she lets me wrestle her to give her meds. She gets a bit of carrot. :lol:

Bobby is THE wriggler I am telling you!

I hide baytril in bread. It tastes foul. You could try it in mashed banana. Grim begs me for his bread and little does he know it has medicine in it. :lol:

Our Dill has just sprouted a bit of a snuffle again after being clear for over 2 years :? :roll:

Last time, it finally cleared up after he had a thorough dental, Baytril & bisolvon. This time, so far we are in week 3 of Baytril and he's still sneezing occasionally but is a bit clearer.

Yep Bobby is letting it dribble out of her mouth and basically tries to somersault because obviously I am trying to kill her :roll:

Silly Bun bun,

I will try the hiding in food.

I will also ask the vet for a dental I think as I have heard that can be a cause at times.

Back