• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fir cones?

becki_moorcroft

Warren Scout
My buns love pine cones and all the different things i can make with them, but i was wondering if they can have fir cones as well, i collected a few the other day and think they'd make great garlands for them but cant find any info anywhere on them, just wondered if anyone could help

Our vets say they can have either but they need to be washed and left out to dry for a few months to make sure all the seeds and oils have dropped out.

thank you :) if it helps i dry the pine cones in a low oven for around 4-5 hours instead of leaving out to dry as it speeds it up

Resurrecting this thread as I have a tree in my garden that produces cones but I don't know what sort of tree it is - a gardener did say it was a scots pine but I don't know if he's right, are all cones safe whatever tree they are from or are there some to be avoided?

Back