• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions from Rescues - would you do this?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Something i noticed on Facebook.

If you had 7 rabbits for rehoming, either singles/pairs, would you bond them into a 7, all females, 4 of which were already reserved? Then to be rehomed in a minimum of pairs, not as the group.

Personally, i think its totally wrong, but wondered on others opinions.

Won't mention names on here as don't want to 'Name & Shame' as thats not me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand. Are they not planning on keeping them together when they rehome them? If so, no I don't agree. It doesn't make any sense to bond them and then break them up.

I'm not sure I understand. Are they not planning on keeping them together when they rehome them? If so, no I don't agree. It doesn't make any sense to bond them and then break them up.

Sorry William, realised that wasn't as clear.

It is as you've posted, to split them for rehoming either individually to existing singles/pairs/groups.

It seems a bit wrong to put reserved bunnies into a group :?

Our RSPCA centre, and I know woodgreen used to, does put bunnies in bigger groups in their kennels as they only have limited space and then you just pick the bunnies you want from the group. I am not saying I agree with this but if it helps save more bunnies in the long run.....:? I know the RSPCA have a high turn over so I doubt they would have time to really establish bonds but if the group was together for any length of time then it would be very sad to break them up

I think if a rabbit has been reserved as a single it should be sold as a single becasue that is what the owner to be has been expecting and would not be fair otherwise for the others i think it should be pairs because i think especcially if you had females they might fight and you will end up with a dominant female who might control the others

We do not bond to re split as I do not think it's fair on the animals..we also only ever split bonded pairs/trios if they fall out..and by that we mean fall out badly. We then attempt to re bond them but if that won't work we then home them to other partners..this happens rarely.
And to bond an already reserved bun then split it again I would consider cruel and un neccessary

Once bonded our bunnies will remain together for life and be rehomed with their bonded partner.

We would only rebond if the bond had broken down and couldn't be resolved.

We would never bond a reserved bunny to one that was not- unless the person reserving the bunny had asked us to.

If we were bonding a large group- it would be because they are unrehomable due to health issues and they would remain together permanently.

Single bunnies are normally are made available for people who have a bunny already that they wish to bond with one of ours.

If a bunny has been with us any length of time, we would consider bonding with another bunny looking for a home that had not been reserved.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
It seems a bit weird if some of the buns are reserved:?

However, I can maybe see why it would be space saving & time saving if buns were there a while. Maybe they have a "splitting" process? For example - in my group, Polly & Rosie chill together & snuggle up, & go outside together. Sugar however, doesn't go with them. She has other friends & I don't think she would be bothered if Rosie & Polly weren't there. For vet visits - if Rosie or Polly go, they go together.

So although I wouldn't do this with my fosters - I don't think it's black & white & with ^^ method, more buns could be helped.

I often think it's sad that a bun can be long term in Rescue without a partner. Surely if they are into months - it tips over from a temp home, to a semi-permanent home? Maybe temp company is better than none.

Guys, personally I don't agree with it but it is better to keep this discussion on RU- we all have different opinions but please dont seek out which rescue it is and 'be nasty' in comments towards them on Fb.

especially when they may not use the forum and can't give their side of the story/decision.

Back