• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Mary might be deaf :( U/D post 12

gwaterhouse

Wise Old Thumper
As the title says really...

I'll go out to see them, and she doesnt move when she hears the door, and there have been times when i've stepped into the run and then she's noticed me and then went absolutely mad running round in circles etc.... as if i've just scared the **** out of her :(

Hopefully it's not a problem as she has Zoid who is as alert as ever...

I will ask the vet next time we go... but is there anything i could do:

1 - to help her
2 - to confirm that she is actually deaf?

Thankyou in advance :(

Last edited:
My bun Benjamin is profoundly deaf. If he is out, and Little Marge isnt with him (rare) I always bump the floor to alert him to my approach so he dosent jump out of his skin if he dosent see me. He very quickly picked up on this. I guess basically, his feet became his ears! He also has learned basic sign language. Might sound far fetched, but it's not at all. If you think about it, when any animal learns human voice commands, it is learning to respond to a language alien to its own natural language. All sign-language is, is simply that, another language, just based on sight rather than sound.
Try not to worry too much. I hope the little'un isn't deaf, but if she is, it's not the end of the world, it's just an opening into a slightly different world, and a new learning curve for you and her :)

Best to asap check it out with a vet your bunny might just be sleepy or have something in its ear maybe best not to think the worst at this point when you have not seen the vet

Smoo does this but she's not deaf because I watch her ***** her ears up to noises. But when she's resting she's 'out of it' and the amount of times I scare her even when I'm talking to them as I walk up. She gets so scared. :?

Thanks guys,

I'll keep an eye on her and just be extra cautious around her and make sure she can see me etc...

:thumb:

We let Leo know we are there before we get into his pen otherwise he darts off and runs into something lol :) it must have been after his stroke but he's still soppy fussy Leo :lol:

Estelle had me worried for a while. She just chooses NOT to hear me and pay any attention.

She hears the bunny biscuit box being rattled!!!!:lol::lol:

I hope Mary isn't deaf, but if she is, then Zoid can be her ears. :love::love:

I don't think deafness is a big problem for bunnies if those around them are aware, especially when they have a partner.

I'm sure my friend's rabbit, Mr McFlurry, is deaf, and I also have a deaf sponsor rabbit who copes fine and is often up to michief. :love:

In the words of professor farnsworth... "Good news everybody"

Mary isn't deaf! :D

I done some detective work last night, and made a few noises around her, clapping etc and she did react to them and zoid wasnt about at the time :)

So I'm very pleased about that... And in the words of Zoidberg himself "woop woop woop"! :lol:

Back