• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor George bunny is losing his eye :(

Katastrophe

Young Bun
My Mum called. While I've been away George has developed an eye infection and they've found a tumour behind his eye. The vet says they need to remove his eye. They said it's highly unlikely he can see out of it anyway (would explain why he sometimes runs into things) so he probably won't really notice, but I still feel awful taking him to have it removed :(

I know it's a no-brainer, and that the vet says he will be fine without his eye, but of course I'm still concerned. The vet says the risks during the actual operation are really low, and that without it the tumour could spread, best case is he'll have reoccurring eye infections worst case is cancer. He's a little trooper and my Mum says he's very co-operative over his medicine and he's fine in himself. I'm going home tomorrow evening, and taking him in on Tuesday morning, should be able to bring him home the same day, fingers crossed :(

George-1.png

Aww bless him :love: My Little Marge only has one eye, and she manages beautifuly. Bear in mind after the surgery, to always make a warning sound to George if you are approaching him on his blind side, so he dosent get startled. If you are about to touch him, say ''Touch touch!' right before you do it. That way, his ears will tell him what his blind side cant and he will know that when he hears ''Touch touch!'' to expect a touch.
very best of wishes and lots of healing vibes to him!

Wee soul. Fingers crossed that all goes well with the op and he feels better in jig time. x

Poor guy. :(
How did they find out it was a tumour? I hope he pulls through the operation okay, I'm sure he will be fine without his eye. My bun is almost blind now and I make sure I don't move things around and talk to him more and he's fine. :)

He is lovely :love:

Bunnies can cope very well with just one eye. One of my bunnies has just developed a cataract and at first a vet thought it was something in the anterior chamber and he would have to have his eye removed. Another vet advised it was a linear suture cataract and just to keep a close watch on it (which is what we are doing), if anything changes we may have to make the same decison.

Good luck for Tuesday, make sure he has all his meds and special nibbles to tempt him when he comes home x

Poor little guy :( My first bun Miffy had an eye removed, and he managed fine with the one. I hope the op goes smoothly. Sending lots of vibes for George xx

My Bridge Bun Daisy had to have an eye removed. She was white and when I first saw her after it was done I almost fainted as it looked so awful - the red against the white. I felt really cruel for having put her through it but she recovered very well and managed just fine with the one eye. It healed much quicker than I was expecting and the fur grew over the scar.

I am very squeamish anyway but just thought I would warn you as I hadn't expected it to look so awful and wished the receptionist or nurse had prepared me.

Try not to worry too much, I know of a few bunnies who have had to have an eye removed and all have bounced back really well and adapt amazingly quickly to being one-eyed.

My Bentley is a one-eyed lad, he had to have his eye removed when he was only 9 weeks old. Once the op was done there was nothing to see apart from a row of stitches where the eye had been removed. The fur soon grows back and covers the scar.

Hope all goes well for George. xx

Vibes for little George.

My dexter had an eye removed last October and has coped fantastically! Nothing in his life has changed, he is just as cheeky and naughty as he was before. 2 days post op he was very quiet, but day 3 he started eating normally and seemed back to his normal self :)

Just had the call from the vets. George stopped breathing as soon as they put him under anaesthetic, and he passed away. I'm devastated. He was such a gorgeous little guy full of personality and only about 10 months old. Doesn't seem fair.

Thank you all for your comments and vibes. I think we made the only choice we could, but that doesn't make it any easier.

I am so, so sorry. What a dreadful shock for you.

Binky free George. He looked a really special bun. xxxx

I'm so sorry. You made the only choice you could for him and maybe in due course it will bring you comfort to know he necer suffered.

Binky Free Well Loved George. x

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure he had a happy life and was much loved and you did the best thing for him.

Oh dear I was about to reply saying we've had animals that have coped fine with losing an eye. You did absolutely everything you could for the poor mite but it really doesn't seem fair.:cry:

Just lost one of our buns yesterday under similar circumstances (anaesthetic) and it's rubbish. Very, very sorry to hear this has happened.

Just had the call from the vets. George stopped breathing as soon as they put him under anaesthetic, and he passed away. I'm devastated. He was such a gorgeous little guy full of personality and only about 10 months old. Doesn't seem fair.

Thank you all for your comments and vibes. I think we made the only choice we could, but that doesn't make it any easier.

I am so, so sorry to read this. You are right, it dosent seem fair. it's possible that the tumor had already weakened his system maybe, but I 100% agree with what you say, it was the only decision you could've made. You did right by your dear rabbit, and I hope in time the fact that DID do right by him, will ease your pain, even if it dosent just yet.
My thoughts are with you.
Annie x

Back