• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any alternative to panacur worming paste

:wave: Hello everyone. I recently adopted a very large female bunny from the RSPCA. She is a gorgeous girl, but was incredible fiesty and hard to handle and quite wild. She is now paired up with one of my little boy and after the neglect she previously suffered in her former home, is absolutely loving life, and has chilled out lovely. I have tamed her around to the point that she now bounds over to snuggle beside me on the floor and does excited little bunny jumps and rushes to meet me when I go in. She has turned into a lovely snuggly girl, but Oh my goodness you try to pick her up and do anything with her, then WOE betied you! I tried to worm her, complete nightmare, my mother holding her, with me trying to get that paste in her mouth just could not be done! it ended up on the walls, on me, bascially everywhere but in her mouth, in fact she just wont let you put anything in her mouth! and 9 days of trying was complete hell! Anyway, does anyone know of any alternative wormer to use for her, apart from an oral paste please?

Have you retired sandwiching the paste between 2 basil leaves? It's the only way I can get the paste into mine

Hi

:wave:Hi Dave
thankyou for your reponse, thats a really good idea, I havent tried that, but will shortly, hopefully I will be able to get some down her :D

There is always Lapizole, which is essentially the same, but tastes different. Some bunnies might prefer it? I think the dosage is a little more though, from memory.

Panacur 10% liquid :thumb:. My 3kg bunny only needs 0.6ml which is a tiny amount compared to the amount she'd need of Lapizole. If she won't take it willingly, I pop it onto a teaspoon of porridge oats, give it a quick mix and she wolfs it down :D.

There is always Lapizole, which is essentially the same, but tastes different. Some bunnies might prefer it? I think the dosage is a little more though, from memory.

Yes you need a lot more lapizole. 1ml per kg, that's a whole syringe full per kg! I found it very hard to give vs the paste

You could try offering lapizole in a bowl and see if she just drinks it, it's supposed to taste nicer than panacur.

I dig out a little hole in a slice of very ripe apple the put the meds in the hole and they gobble down any meds that way, the very ripe apple is so sweet they don't taste the meds :thumb:

My rabbit hates panacur and manages to let it drop out of his mouth no matter how I give it- he can even eat around it in any food and then seems like he spits it out:)

Although the lapizole is a bigger amount its much more accurate dose than panacur and he loves the taste.

Back