• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny trying to eat the walls of bunny house any ideas how to stop her?

Hello
would appreciate any ideas anyone may have.
I house my bunnies in a large brick shed/bunny house, with plaster painted walls, and they are paired up and roam free in there sections, they have toys mineral stones wooden chews, tunnels, basically everything you can imagine to keep them entertained. However in the last few days one has suddenly decided to search for uneven places on the wall and started nawing on it, and pulling pieces off, I went in this morning and there was a patch stripped off, obviously this is very worrying, as the walls are plaster and painted. I cannot afford the cost to have the whole shed replastered or put plaster boards up to prevent this as it would cost a fortune due to the size of the place. Does anyone have any ideas of anything I could perhaps wipe onto the walls that said bunny wouldnt like the taste of, to stop her trying to naw on it. I have never had this problem before now, ans I really dont know how to stop it .

It's a rabbits natural behaviour, all 4 of mine strip the skirting board etc. you will find it hard to stop them doing this even with products that rabbits aren't suppose to enjoy the taste of

I've never had much luck with things that taste bad. Screwing something over the area she's chewing may be the best option eg a bit of perspex

I know you said they have lots to do but bunnies can get bored of toys just like children so things like hiding food, a digging box, lumps of wood to chew, cardboard boxes as they can be chewed may help.

Also sometimes diet changes can help eg increasing hay and using any other food to encourage foraging behaviours (hide the food, put it in things, hang it up etc)

Whatever you do don't but bitter apple spray, I put this on my sofa to try stop it been munched on, turns out my rabbits like the spray and chewed the sofa even more :lol:

thanks

:wave: Hello everyone, thanks for your replies. They have 3 different types of hay, timothy hay with barch being the current fave, mineral stones, foraging treats, toys with treats hidden inside, tunnels tent, boxes, basically everything that I can find I get them! I spend an absolute fortune buying them different things weekly to the point that they are probably completely spoilt, I even recently had a huge bunny play house with ladders and balconies built for them, perhaps the spoilt bums have gotten bored with it already :lol: I guess there is nothing I can do to stop it, I wasnt worried about the damage just that if she ingested the plaster that it may do her harm is all.:)

It does sound like you keep them busy! :D Do they have everything all the time - maybe a toy box and rotate what they have so that they have to re-explore things?

You could try wiping vinegar on the walls. It's stinky but safe and it has worked for me in the past when Smoo was chewing the rubber around the back door.

Back