• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

small breed of rabbit ?

spadge

Young Bun
hi can you tell me some small breeds please ? and ones that " eventually " dont mind being handled ? thanks

hi can you tell me some small breeds please ? and ones that " eventually " dont mind being handled ? thanks

There's no guarantee any rabbit will like being handled. As a prey species, rabbits generically do NOT like being handled at all. There are obviously those who have a personality suitable to allow them to enjoy being handled, such as my Ginger, but they are few and far between.

Your best bet is to go to a reputable rescue and have a chat with who runs it about what you want from a rabbit and let them help you choose the right rabbits for you. That's far easier than thinking I want an X who does Y and not knowing the bunnies. The person running it will know their bunnies inside and out and be able to help you choose.

All breeds of rabbits can be friendly. I guess friendly is what you mean about being handled? Most rabbits don't like being picked up because it makes them think of a predator picking them up but they can like being handled as in stroking them etc. It depends on the individual and how much they were handled when they were babies. All my rabbits have been friendly and I've had several different breeds. One of my favorite breeds are nethies which are small. some say can be timid but mine are very friendly.

Polish, neherland dwarfs, mini lops, dwarf lops, mini rexes, cross breeds.

This might help.

http://www.thebrc.org/standards.htm

Those are only show quality rabbits though. There are far more nonn showable but wonderful bunnies around.

A lot of the smaller breeds are far too busy being busy to want to have time to be handled though.

I have a lionhead and she is pretty small with a gorgeous mane .
She's not the friendliest. She's very scared of everything despite handling on a regular basis. Although my cross breed bunny hes a but bigger, who is living indoors now is very friendly. He is handled a lot due to being medicated twice a day.
There is no guarentee on nature or size if u adopt when they are babies.
I would go to a rescue and have a talk over about re-homing a bunny.

Back