• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny very flat and not pooing

cara

Alpha Buck
Sweep is a free range type rabbit - out all day, only in at night.

Unusually, Sweep was in the run before I had called him in. He was totally disinterested in his veggies - a usual dusk treat to encourage him in. He was hunched.

Worried enough to bring him in for the night, where he has deterioriated, I think. He is now flat out (not hunched) and very lethergic (sp?).

He is weeing, but not really pooing. Only 2 poops last night. Am not really sure if he was pooing properly uptill last night as I have two rabbits and they are both in the garden all day and it would be difficult to spot any problem of that type. He is eating if I encourage him with a bit of apple, cabbage - but not particularly making the effort on his own. Just lies there with his eyes closed.

The only other thing recently, is that his fur has been slightly clumpy under his chin - like he might dribble. (Teeth?). However, he has been absolutely fine with a good appetite etc up until now and even from the morning up untill 8 ish last night when I called him in.

Have phoned the emergency vet and I know I can take him in if necessary ... but will wait until my husband returns this afternoon.

Even wondering if he has eaten something bad in the garden. Anyone please advise?

I would try get to the vets ASAP an get him checked could be stasis starting the sooner he sees a vet the better sending get well vibes over for bunny 

What wendle says, does bunnys abdomen feel hard at all?

The sooner he's seen by a vet the better chance he has, a rabbit that's not eating can go downhill very quickly as I found out last week. My rabbit Roly was fine at 5pm on Friday but by 9am the following day he'd needed 2 trips to the emergency vet.

Sadly due to my vet not knowing much about rabbits he died on the Sunday.

If he is flat out then he may not make it to this afternoon. He needs to get there ASAP. Sorry if that sounds blunt or harsh but there is little else to say. an you get a taxi or someone else to take you?

If you truly can not get there before your hubby gets home from work then you need to keep him warm and keep your fingers crossed that he can keep fighting, but be aware that each delayed second is a second he has lost in terms of fighting with help.

Thank you for your replies.

In addition to all I have said before, he has a snotty nose. I am wondering if he is snuffly.

Sweep has always had a minor snotty nose for months, maybe a year or more but it has not given him any problems. It doesnt seem any worse but I am just not sure. Yes, a trip to the vets will be made. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your replies.

In addition to all I have said before, he has a snotty nose. I am wondering if he is snuffly.

Sweep has always had a minor snotty nose for months, maybe a year or more but it has not given him any problems. It doesnt seem any worse but I am just not sure. Yes, a trip to the vets will be made. I will let you know how it goes.

It's probable that he has something quite serious going on and the respiratory infection has got/could get worse because his body has a lot to cope with than normal so it's really taken hold. He really does need to see a vet as a matter of urgency. I hope the vet you see is a good bunny vet, hope all goes well.

So do I. The problem is that as it is an emergency vet, you get what you are given.

Anything in particular I should request? Difficult question, I know, as we do not yet know what is wrong with him.

So do I. The problem is that as it is an emergency vet, you get what you are given.

Anything in particular I should request? Difficult question, I know, as we do not yet know what is wrong with him.

Things to consider are:
A pain killer
A gut stimulant
Zantac

But the vet will need to examine to rule out specific things.

If the vet offers anti-biotics ask if them if there is a specific reason, if not I would refuse.

Our rabbit Boo deteriorated within hours with a snotty nose. He was already on antibiotics but died 20 minutes after another trip to the vets as he had gone completely flat and wouldn't eat. Don't delay, get him there ASAP. Boo likely had pastuerella, which characteristically gives them thick white snot.

Hope sweep is ok, sounds like he def has something going on wih his snotty nose lack of poop and being hunched over. Bunnies deteriorate so quickly so please get him seen as soon as you can.
Can u get someone to take u instead of waiting on hubby?
Sending lots of vibes.

Been to Vets. Advised to either let him go or ..... throw everything at him. Opted to give him every chance possible.

Taken from Vets record notes:

Off Food, no motions, resp noise, teeth appear ok, adv poss toxic, head nodding, weak limbs, offered hosp.

Baytril inj 2.5% 1mls
Inject Vomend Soln for Inj 1mls
Dexadreson inj 2 mg/ml 1mls

Baytril Oral 2.5% give 1 mls once per day 5 mls
Emeprid Oral Solution Give 4 mls 3 times per day 75 mls

Supreme Science Recovery as directed.

The above including consultation etc £121.96.

Now, I have to say he is home and the turnaround is nothing short of amazing (compared to how he was). I am very cautiously (sp?) optimistic. Something has given him a kick start. Am wary that this may short lived tho. However, he is alert, eating and much more upright. No poops yet though. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all you input. I will let you know how it goes.

Glad you got your bun to the vet and are now seeing an improvement. Hope all goes well over the next couple of days!

Back