• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay splinter in eye lid Updated

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
I posted in health earlier, but have just managed to have a really close look at Lolas eye and she has a piece of hay splintering into her eyelid, almost in the corner nearest to her ear. I can't get to a vet tonight, my OH is out till 1.30 dj'ing at a wedding reception, and tomorrow I am at work till 4.15 with no boss around to see if I can be off. Shall I pull it out gently if I can?? she is now sitting with her eye fully closed when resting, but open when she is running round. She is completely fine otherwise. She is very jumpy when I went near it just now, and she just did her sideways jumping away from me thing they do when they are being a bit defiant?

Why do things happen at difficult times?? :(

Last edited:
I have gently pulled hay out of piggies eyes in the past and as long as it slid out without pulling all has been fine. Maybe try and see if it comes out easily but if not the leave alone until you can see vet. Obviously it will take two of you one to hold and other to operate so to speak!

I've had a go, but can't seem to get it, she is just so jumpy. None of my buns are very good at being handled at all which doesn't help! She is following me round though, which she wouldn't normally do, as if she knows she needs help.

I can see a 1.30am vet trip occuring :( OH isn't answering his texts either now which is a pain. Aaghh

I would suggest ringing the vet for advice, they might at least be able to talk you through how you might be able to get the hay out while you are unable to get to the vet or judge whether you need to go as an emergency when your oh gets home. It does sound as if your bun will need to see a vet soon though, my Dudley also got a piece of hay stuck in his eye last week and it has ulcered, the sooner your bun is seen the less damage is likely to be done to the eye and the easier, less painful, and less costly it will be to heal. As long as the hay is there it will be scratching the surface and causing damage. Eye ulcers are also incredibly painful and that may be why your bun is sitting with the eye shut.

Good luck x

Thank you xxx

My OH has replied and said he might just leave all his equipment at the venue and get home sooner so we will have a go together, and then go to the vet if we can't get it. There is a nice sized bit hanging out to get hold if, it's just a case of keeping her still. I am worried it will do damage in the eye so the sooner it's out the better. Crazy bun keeps getting up and binkying as if nothing is wrong!

even if you have managed to remove the hay she still needs to be examined by a Vet to check for any sign of corneal abrasions. If there is and it is not treated a corneal ulcer can result which can become a much more serious (and painful) problem

Back from work so couldn't update until now.

We took Lola in early this morning, and they pulled it out in a flash, it was about a cm long, and she was lucky where it entered it hadn't caused much of a problem. Nothing visible to the vet, just a bit of redness to keep an eye on. The vet took pity I think and refused to charge us. Thank goodness! it would have been £130 for being out of hours!

Lola was as good as gold. She was scared on the 40 minute journey there, I had to have a hand in the top of the carrier calming her, but on the way home sat really relaxed and chilled out in the carrier with the front of her body in the palm of my hands underneath her. I'm sure she knew she had been helped :love:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and advice. Yesterday was a difficult day for me for other reasons, and then for that to happen to Lola aswell it was really nice to have the support from RU xxxx

ETA: She is in our normal vets this week for vacs, so will be a good chance for another thorough check : )

Back