• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing issues

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Any thoughts on what could be causing rapid breathing and a raised head, its not laboured or noisy, no discharge no signs of feeling unwell so lively and eating OK :?

She is just breathing like she has been running even when she is resting and it has got worse over the past 48 hours with her head slwoly getting higher :?

Saw the vet yesterday who could find nothing specifically wrong or any cause and she is a good vet. She is on high level of antibiotics and metacam for inflammation in the hope it helps and is supposed to go back on Thursday if no improvement but if anything the breathing is getting worse

Is it all the time, or predominantly when she is sleeping?

Could it be the humidity/lack of/temp/fresh air in the room causing it (I guess I'm asking about air quality for that individual bunny)? Heart issues?

Its constant but is more noticeable to me when she is resting as she is rocking as she breathes. Her heart sounded fine along with her lungs. She is 9 years old but had a GA a few weeks back and recovered with flying colours

My first thought was heart. :?
Could it be asthma? Would that show up by listening to lungs? Or something really obscure like a pollen allergy, can you check the pollen count in your area?

Thanks for replies. I did wonder heart to, maybe something will show up on x-ray :? But if it was causing such a deterioration in her breathing i would have thought she wouldn't be so lively in herself or something would have shown up during her GA :?

I wondered about a tumour in her lungs :?

i would have thought a pollen allergy would cause sneezing and at least a bit of clear discharge but who knows. She is an indoor bun and nothing has changed in her environment.

The vet was at a loss to the cause so thought it best to start with the most obvious treatment of antibiotics and anti inflammatories and go from there.

In all honesty it seems to be worrying me more than her, but I think there is good cause to be worried :(

Badger's problems started similar to that and it was clearly more noticeable when he was sleeping or resting. His nose, eventually would be pointing sky high.

After going to the vets and being on oxygen he would initially improve. He needed a variety of meds to help him stay stable. His was an issue with his soft pallet. Not sure if that's useful info though.

Badger's problems started similar to that and it was clearly more noticeable when he was sleeping or resting. His nose, eventually would be pointing sky high.

After going to the vets and being on oxygen he would initially improve. He needed a variety of meds to help him stay stable. His was an issue with his soft pallet. Not sure if that's useful info though.

Anything is useful thanks. How old was he when it started?

Oh, interesting - my Ziggy might be having the same thing. When he is resting he will put his nose in the air pointing at the ceiling for maybe 10 seconds then repeat a few times. He's also about three and has been doing this for a few months - it looks really bizarre. He is otherwise healthy.We've had him x-rayed and checked over and nothing obviously wrong. Sky-O what do you mean by a problem with his pallet? I hadn't noticed a breathing problem - I'll watch more carefully.

Last edited:
Back