• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets refuse to keep bonded pair together when 1 is spayed!!!!!

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
My mum has booked in Lily to be spayed next week and we said that she is bonded with Flopsy and that we want him to go to the vets with her and be with her when she comes out of surgery... they have said no because he might chew her wound and we should separate them until she is healed. stupid vet nurse, what does she know about bonded bunnies???????

I dont want their bond breaking, what shall I do??? :roll:

Ask if they have a problem with using a mesh devider... Bunnies stay together, devider will prevent damage occuring to the surgical patient. :thumb:

Ask if they have a problem with using a mesh devider... Bunnies stay together, devider will prevent damage occuring to the surgical patient. :thumb:

I know, but there is really no need for any separation, even if she has to be alone at the vets they will be put together straight away ounce she's home

I know, but there is really no need for any separation, even if she has to be alone at the vets they will be put together straight away ounce she's home

True, but it may be the only way they'll consider it. She will need close observation which you'll know already, so Im surprised they are refusing. I'd have a word with the vet to be honest, maybe that nurse isn't very rabbit savvy and lacks knowledge of the delicacy of rabbit bonding.

If you have to send her alone but want to keep him with her through recovery then take him with you to collect her so that they can be in the carrier together on the way home, which will likely remove issues relating to smelling different.

I can see why the vets have said it. It's not something I would do, or my vets would force me to do, but I can see their logic. Equally, I can see yours too. Just do what you feel is right for your pair.

If you have to send her alone but want to keep him with her through recovery then take him with you to collect her so that they can be in the carrier together on the way home, which will likely remove issues relating to smelling different.

I can see why the vets have said it. It's not something I would do, or my vets would force me to do, but I can see their logic. Equally, I can see yours too. Just do what you feel is right for your pair.

Ok thank you Sky-O , I will speak to the vet and if they don't allow flopsy to stay with her then we will do what you suggested :)

Flopsy wont be interested in her wound anyway :)

Ok thank you Sky-O , I will speak to the vet and if they don't allow flopsy to stay with her then we will do what you suggested :)

Flopsy wont be interested in her wound anyway :)

Most likely he won't, but some bunnies can be so you will need to be watch extra carefully to make sure he doesn't mess with her.

Roger removed Summer's stitches when she had her tumour removed :roll: He did it because he knew they shouldn't be there and was trying to make her better.

A spay is a big op for a female and we always keep a bonded pair apart while the female heals. We just put then in indoor cages next to each other so they can smell and see each other. It is wise to keep them apart.

A spay is a big op for a female and we always keep a bonded pair apart while the female heals. We just put then in indoor cages next to each other so they can smell and see each other. It is wise to keep them apart.

Mine are kept in a shed and their is nowhere I can put them separate and im not prepared to have 3 single bunnies, A bunny friend helps them recover quicker, Lily has NEVER been alone. Both bunnies will be stressed if they had to be separated so I will keep them together even if it means Lily goes to the vets alone, He will come with us to pick her up and they will stay together...

Most likely he won't, but some bunnies can be so you will need to be watch extra carefully to make sure he doesn't mess with her.

Roger removed Summer's stitches when she had her tumour removed :roll: He did it because he knew they shouldn't be there and was trying to make her better.

sky-o

When flopsy's old hunbun had flystrike which she sadly passed away from she had a lot of fur shaved and a little wound, he was not interested, he just laid by his sister and groomed her head, he is not fussed about wounds :)

Back