• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cost of a PTS

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost to have a rabbit pts. I think its time to let Bonnie go, she is not happy and is lashing out aggressively :(

I want to phone the vet on Monday and try and get an appointment for the same day but have no idea how much money to bring. I would be burying Bonnie at home and I know they have to anaesthetise rabbits beforehand so I know that will affect the cost.

Can anyone help? I'm based near Edinburgh if that helps.

From what I can work out Scottish vets seem quite expensive. I paid £75 for a small 2.5kg dog the other week if that helps any. I'm sorry that your at that point with Bonnie, its a horrible feeling knowing the time has come:(:(

I had to have my bunny pts a month ago and it was the same charge as a cat so I paid £45. Obviously it can vary enormously between vets but this is what I paid at my vets.

When you call to book, could you ask then?

Ours charge £20 for a rabbit.

Thinking of you all.

When you call to book, could you ask then?

Ours charge £20 for a rabbit.

Thinking of you all.

Thanks everyone.

Yes I think I'll have to. Prices seem to vary enormously by the looks of it. I feel quite numb just now and want to keep busy and prepare so have already sought out flowers, a box and so on. Its strange, very strange doing this. Every other time its been a shock but I feel so calm and purposeful now. I actually want this for her. I feel more upset about her being alive and in pain than about having her pts :? I love her so much but I want her to be free now and I feel guilty for having kept her alive for so long :(

awww bless I promised myself today I wasn't going to cry on here but that's gone out the window so I'm gunna go clean out my bunnys 

I actually want this for her. I feel more upset about her being alive and in pain than about having her pts :? I love her so much but I want her to be free now and I feel guilty for having kept her alive for so long :(

We felt exactly the same about Squidgy. The appointment couldn't come soon enough, as he looked so miserable. It all passed in such a blur that I can't remember what it cost, sorry.
Hugs. xxx

Thanks everyone.

Yes I think I'll have to. Prices seem to vary enormously by the looks of it. I feel quite numb just now and want to keep busy and prepare so have already sought out flowers, a box and so on. Its strange, very strange doing this. Every other time its been a shock but I feel so calm and purposeful now. I actually want this for her. I feel more upset about her being alive and in pain than about having her pts :? I love her so much but I want her to be free now and I feel guilty for having kept her alive for so long :(

You know, in your heart, that this is right for her and that's going to bring you peace. Make her last day a wonderful one, with all the things she loves, the food she loves, whatever human interaction and places to run she prefers, etc. You don't need to worry about healthy moderation for diet, let her go out with a bang. Take photos and videos and make memories.

This bit, right now, is the worst (in my experience), when you knw it's right, once its actually done, it can feel very, very peaceful for us as well as them. Yes you'll still grieve but you're also already grieving now.

Thanks everyone.

When I saw my Gran suffer, I thought why don't they have this for people.

You know when you are doing the right decision. Thinking of you. xxx

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Bonnie has had 6 dentals over 6 months and she has gradually become more aggressive and less willing to interact with people and even shuns her husbun occasionally. But I always had hope for her and she always seemed to pull through and show signs of happiness after each op. But this is different now. She has changed so much and is clearly not happy plus she is biting herself in pain/frustration/itchiness and seeing her neck wounds and morose demeanour was this morning was the clincher. It truly does feel like the right time. There is nothing more I can do for and the best thing I can possible give her is a release.

She is getting pain relief and cream for her symptoms btw but I don't know if any of it is working tbh given her recent behaviour.

I paid 35.01 for Lily to be PTS and then a further 112.00 for ashes.

A hard decision, I dont envy you.Lots of love to all.xxxx

I dont know, when i had Flynn and Gracie PTS i ot private crem, which was expensive, but i cant remember as i paid it without thinking much of the cost.

My thoughts will be with you on Monday xx

Had some heartbreaking proof today that now is the time :( One of her eyes is ever so slightly weepy. Called the vet, increased dose of metacam but its probably without a doubt caused by the molar roots. She is constantly over grooming despite having had 8 hours of play in the garden. She is not showing a strong interest in play any more which is also a pretty concrete sign.

Will be aiming to get a pts done asap tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. Its all starting to hit me now so have been crying a lot but I know in my heart of hearts that this is best thing I can do for her now. I don't want to cry at the vets though, I don't want that to be the last thing she remembers, I want her to go with some degree of comfort and happiness. I wish I could temporarily delay the grief because I need to be so strong for her.

Anyway could I please ask for some vibes for a peaceful last day or two for Bonnie, she deserves all the love and happiness in the world, this horrible disease happened to one of the nicest rabbits I've ever known and she has borne it all with a stoic attitude and until recently never complained. She is sweet, beautiful, dignified and loving and is so incredibly loved back by so many humans and rabbits :love: We need to be happy for her because she will finally get a release and she has had a good life, a very good life indeed.

I have to phone the vet tomorrow to make an appointment and will take things from there but will update on here too. Thank you everyone for your support during what is an incredibly difficult time especially as I have other outside pressures too. Thank you for reading my warbles and taking the time to reply, it means a lot.

Sorry you're having to go through this, it's a horrible time. Lots of vibes for a peaceful passing to the Bridge.

It cost around £25 when we had to have Bob PTS. The vets were very sensitive and let us out of the surgery side door straight into the carpark so we didn't have to see anyone. They sent the invoice around 2 weeks later, after having received a condolence card within a couple of days. I remember thinking it was such a small amount for the very precious life we had lost :cry::cry::cry:

Back