• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit scared of dog smell

Nala's Mummy

Young Bun
So I have eventually found the perfect place to take my house rabbit Nala nearby while we go on holiday to a lovely lady who does holiday boarding for bunnies and also owns a pet shop. But she has 4 dogs (who are gorgeous and great with animals, very calm and have snuggled with rabbits etc) However, when I came home the smell of her dashund on me totally freaked Nala out (I know it is the dog smell because this happens everytime I stroke a dog and come home) - I've tried to get her used to the smell on the clothes I was wearing but she won't go near it, even with her favourite treats on it. She stamps her feet and runs away, or crawls low to the ground with her ears forward when she's nervous - she's never like this and I hate seeing her like this and now I'm really worried as I have heard that stress can be very dangerous for a bunny's health and I don't want to take her somewhere to stay for one week where the smell will be all over and obviously much much stronger... will she get used to it or is this a really bad idea?? (..in the near future I was planning on getting a Cavalier :cry: as I have wanted one forever..I was hoping this might be a good thing for her to get used to dogs but now I've seen her reaction I'm worried!!!)
We go away next wednesday and I have run out of other places to find - the only option is possibly to have someone come here which we have done in the past if we were going away for a shorter period of time but I know some people on here reccomend this but is an hour or less a day with a bunny on their own in a flat enough?? I would be worried with her all on her own for that amount of time. But then again this she might prefer to the smell of dogs??

If it Nala was my bunny I would not leave her somewhere that had dogs. The smell and barking can be extremely stressful to a bunny who is not use to dogs. I have an arrangement with a neighbor who comes in 2 or 3 times a day and when they go out of town I return the favor. When we first moved here before I knew my neighbors an person from work took my bunny into her house. They didn't have pets and was considering getting a bunny so worked out well.

Back