• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alcohol in my rabbits eye

idesusebe

New Kit
Okay.So i got my brown rabbit 6 months ago..Today,i let my rabbit play in my grandmothers room,and she was using alcohol to get rid of bacteries on her arms..while she was using it,drop of alcohol fell in my rabbits right eye...i quickly ran for water and cleared the spot around his eye...but anyway,he has something white coming out of his right eye,and im scared if he would go blind on that eye...can you please tell me what to do?:(:cry: Thanks.. (sorry for my bad english)

Rinse it out with cold water. Hold the rabbit down and gently open the eye. Soak cotton wool in water and squeeze it into the open eye to wash it all out.

The best water is water that has been boiled and gone COLD. As this is more sterile.

It would be best to go to the vets as well to check him but was it all out as best as you can now.

I hope he's okay.

What does the white thing look like, is it at the side of his eye? Maybe his third eyelid?

It's at the bottom of his eye,and it looks like some kind of a white matter,like some kind of a creme.

You'll often see this after an irritation in your rabbits eye (dust, a bit of hay, fur or hair, etc) the eye overproduces thick tears to protect the eye and clear it out.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Discharge/eye_discharge.htm

The white eye bogey is expected after such an unfortunate accident, I'm not sure how much damage it would do with just one drop on one unlucky occasion, the vet may be able to give some mild drops anyway to help any surface inflammation go down tho.

I imagine the damage done with depend on the strength and type of the alcohol. Get him to the vets as soon as you can, and take the bottle of the alcohol with you so the vet can read the label.

You'll often see this after an irritation in your rabbits eye (dust, a bit of hay, fur or hair, etc) the eye overproduces thick tears to protect the eye and clear it out.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Discharge/eye_discharge.htm

The white eye bogey is expected after such an unfortunate accident, I'm not sure how much damage it would do with just one drop on one unlucky occasion, the vet may be able to give some mild drops anyway to help any surface inflammation go down tho.

Yes,it was just like that.He's okay now,he's eye looks normal like the other one,so i think he's okay.Im very happy. :) Thank you.

Yes,it was just like that.He's okay now,he's eye looks normal like the other one,so i think he's okay.Im very happy. :) Thank you.

Did you take him to the vets? Even if he seems fine you should take him and tell the vet, get him checked over and maybe see if the vet can check his eyesight too.

Back