• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which ones to choose

diamondgirl

Warren Scout
Hi are going to try and bond a trio for the first time , they are outdoor bunnies, two are sisters and other I rescued he is really sweet. I was thinking of put Domino's run in the house, so can have it open on the top. And keep an eye on them when bonding its about 5ft sqaure . So any helpfull tips would be really good.

Did think about doing little dates 15 mins a day upto the time we do the bonding? they all live outside near by each other. We have other pair who live next door to the girls Womble and Wiggles, Which they have had EC in the pass and now are better.

But have been thinking that it could work out better with the boys for Domino as they are very loving and always intrested in Domino , Now the girls are more busy doing things, Jasmine is the boss and hates being picked up at all, getting her vets is a nightmare.

Have you read the trio bonding sticky at the top of this forum? If not, it might be worth a read :)

I would think an open topped run would be a good idea (as long as it's somewhere secure so that if they jump out it's not the end of the world) but make sure you neutralise it with distilled vinegar (and the flooring too).

I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to saying X is ok for bonding because each bond varies buny to bunny. You might put them together and see that they can stay together totally, or put them together and see they need short bursts, or put them together and realise they need to have some foundaiton work put in first. I would say read your rabbits and what you're seeing from them when you put them together before you plan how to do it :)

Good luck.

Hi Sky-0 We are going to be doing it in the house, so none of them have been in the house. I read so much my brain is dead from it all , :) Only thing it I did the little dates I would have to wash the run down everytime ? Did not want to spend any money on other run or should I just make a corner in the living room and block it off ? Just sounding out at the mo:) two or more brains are better than one,

Yup, you would need to neutralise the run each time.

What I have done is get a little sprayed bottle and put a strong vinegar solution in there and then just spray it each time I need the run and that is so super fast it hardly takes any time and is very quick and easy to do.

If you can block off a corner in the living room safely, that too would potentially be effective :)

Absolutely :)

I will warn you though, sometimes people PM me and I read it and then need time to think and digest the info before replying, so if you see me active on the forum between sending the PM and then me replying, I haven't forgotten you, and I'm not ignoring you, I'm just thinking of the best advice I can offer you :)

You're also obviously welcome to post on the forum to potentially get a faster response and a wider variety of responses too :)

Well had there first meeting .Domino the male was very excited , and was humping Tinkerbell first , then he went to Jasmine humping front and back , Then Domino had a rest laid down Jasmine came over but Tinkerbell stayed away. Then it happen all over again , then we had Jasmine and domino going round in circles head to bum there was some hair pulling and Tinkerbell was thumping , so stopped the meeting , then for couple of seconds the sisters had a go at each other but calmed down.everyone now back in their hutches .Does this sound about right ?

When you say you stopped the meeting, what did you do?

It's ok to have these signs, it's how they both cope with it, and how you work with it that is important.

I took Domino out , and that when the girls had a bit of moment. , Its was a quick decision . so was that the wrong decision I think it might of been.

Circling is quite common. You need to be looking for raised tails (which you can expect to see but the odd circling will happen without a raised tail). If you see raised tails then just pull them apart and hold them apart and keep calm and hold them apart until you feel them relax, and then a little bit more. It would be sensible to be wearing gloves if you are splitting aggressive circling because it can quickly lead to a fight.

It's a very, very steep learning curve and you're doing all the right things by asking for advice and doing research :)

thanks having a go tonight and try and a bit longer. My husband is off for 10 days so hopefully will have more time , I just hope it works.Positive thinking it will work :)

Well , went out and Domino took one look at me and ran and started to thump at me like mad and ears looking at me, flinking his litter tray and biting it, dont think its going to work. Will leave it tonight and will c . Or might have to find a new home , cant afford another hutch . things might look brighter in the morning:( so wanted it to work , but think i am inexperience for this .

065.jpg

067.jpg

066.jpg

073.jpg

072.jpg

076.jpg

Well slepted on it and tried again thinking it might be looking good some mounting only a little bit with Tinkerbell the timid one , there was nipping but mostly hair pulling,with Jasmine left on a high 20 mins or maybe a little longer.

Well its been over an hour they have been together . Domino seems to trying to get under the girls for some reason , there have been quite of bit of nipping between Jasmine and Domino, Tinkerbell has been sniffing Domino but not too close to him , not grooming , been a bit of circling, have put a litter tray in and some hay for them to eat, Did think about taking them in the car for a drive just to c if we can get them closer.They keep on having litle bursts of running around chasing and some thumping of grunting. Any advice would be gratefull.

Glad that youi are heading in the right direction Sarah. Sounds pretty normal behaviour from what David has said and what you have written. One thing I should say is give them a very large litter tray in the bonding area for them all to get in, so that they can sit and graze together. Having enough space for them all in at the same time is important and if you see 'litter tray guarding' where one defends or stops the others from entering, remove and just spread hay on the floor. Encourage as near normal behaviour as possible so that they can carry on with their normal daily stuff.

Fingers crossed.

Hi Helen , I got the big dog basket out sprayed ect. Banana did work a little bit , tinkerbell, ~Domino and Jasmine in the basket the hay.:) half hour later after I have been hovering Domino is being groomed by both girls all cuddling together. Think he is on his way in having his own harem :)so five and half hours been together .The tables have turned now Jasmine has been mouting Domino , and so has Tinkberbell.
011.jpg

010.jpg

Back