• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How would one tell if a bunny was deaf/hearing impaired?

We tested ours in quite a harsh way.

I had known for a while (about 2 years or so) that Dopey 2 was likely to be deaf. She's very hard to wake up, often doesn't come running with the others, things like that.

Recently they were inside and all three were as asleep as bunnies can be (proper eyes closed and stuff) and I just made a really loud 'WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE' noise and Lightning and Dopey 1 jumped up like they had been shot, and Dopey 2 carried on bliddfully sleeping. The other two looked around a bit and within 5 mins had gone back to sleep but that ws enough to convince me that yes, Dopey 2 was infact probably completely deaf.

Given I had suspect it for so long I didn't need to change anything because I was already using the touch/feeling sense and the sight sense to help her.

I think my wee mini lop friend is deaf. If he sees you coming he gets all excited, but if his back is to the hutch door he doesn't react at all and you can sometimes even open the hutch without him realising.

I think lops in general have some hearing impairment as well. Mischa and Mini are not anywhere near as in tune with sounds as the lionheads are. We thought Mischa was deaf as coming into the room suddenly would startle him but I can see him move his ears in response to sounds so I'm positive he isn't completely deaf. I think he just sleeps very deeply and gets very involved in hay eating and so sometimes doesn't notice. It's got a lot better since we swapped door for baby gate.

Leo is deaf. It must have happened when he had his stroke because he was fine before that. If he's asleep and your are standing in front of him he will run away but soon comes back for fuss :lol: You can stand there calling his name and banging really loud for 10 minutes before he realises you're there, we have to call him with vibrations now, we tap the pen or stamp on the floor and he's alright then :) He's a lop :)

Just clap your hands when they can't see you. That will always make a bunny at least turn up their ears.

We thought my previous bunny, Buzzby, was deaf because he showed absolutely no fear of noise, the lawnmower, grinder etc in the garage next to the patio, no fear. It was even more certain when we realised if he was cleaning and couldnt see you coming (lop ears seemed to get in the way of some of his vision from behind too) he would leap out of his skin when you got there, before coming for nose rubs. I gradually got used to making sure I waved frantically before getting too close so he caught sight of me and didnt panic. When he was in his bed area and didnt know I was there I would bang on the floor so he could feel I was there and soon learned that meant he could have cuddles! By the end of the wonderful time he spent with us we were certain he was deaf but other than being considerate of it and making sure he knew we were coming it did nothing but make him a bolder happier bunny.

I think lops in general have some hearing impairment as well. Mischa and Mini are not anywhere near as in tune with sounds as the lionheads are. We thought Mischa was deaf as coming into the room suddenly would startle him but I can see him move his ears in response to sounds so I'm positive he isn't completely deaf. I think he just sleeps very deeply and gets very involved in hay eating and so sometimes doesn't notice. It's got a lot better since we swapped door for baby gate.

Tell Biscuit that! :lol:

I would try to creap up on them and then make a sudden loud noise like a clap or a boo or something. If that doesn't make a bunny turn around or run away then they might have a hearing problem

Back