• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning litter trays

Dave81

Mama Doe
What do you use to wash your litter trays with, I must admit mine haven't been washed in the last couple of weeks but they have been cleaned out

I normally use the Clean & Safe disinfectant stuff from Pets at Home once a week. If they are really mucky you can use vinegar and it dissolves all the stains off. I did that last weekend, boiled it up and poured it in. Did my old litter trays too which were really stained and they came up looking like new!

I normally use the Clean & Safe disinfectant stuff from Pets at Home once a week. If they are really mucky you can use vinegar and it dissolves all the stains off. I did that last weekend, boiled it up and poured it in. Did my old litter trays too which were really stained and they came up looking like new!

This is what I tend to do for oscars, it's really effective :thumb:

Wilkos rabbit hutch cleaner is really good on the inside of the hutch but takes some scrubbing on the litter tray... I might try the vinegar trick! :thumb:

Wilkos rabbit hutch cleaner is really good on the inside of the hutch but takes some scrubbing on the litter tray... I might try the vinegar trick! :thumb:

I tried that once when I'd ran out of everything else, I found it had a really strong smell and rather useless at removing stains, I am really fussy about fragrance though so could just be me :roll:

Be prepared - the house absolutely stunk of vinegar for a couple of hours afterwards :lol: But it does work & barely any scrubbing needed:

Before:

e9ef1a76.jpg

One go with the boiled vinegar:

4c5f99d3.jpg

After second go (my newer trays only needed 1 go, this one had been in the garage for 8 months!):

e41fc29b.jpg

(Yes I am sad and took photos :oops: :lol:)

Wow... I seriously need to try this. Mind you my house mates think I'm obsessed with vinegar as it is... :lol:
I generally just rinse them out in the shower.

I only wash mine maybe once or twice a month. I clean them out every two days, but if I wash them each time, they rabbits completely forget their litter training :roll:

But when I do wash them, I just use a spot of fairy liquid.

I use the clean and safe stuff and give them a quick wipe with kitchen roll. I do vinegar them occasionally but as I use it to discourage them from peeing places I try not to too often and give them a good rinse after, in case they decide not to pee in them after!

I use the clean and safe stuff and give them a quick wipe with kitchen roll. I do vinegar them occasionally but as I use it to discourage them from peeing places I try not to too often and give them a good rinse after, in case they decide not to pee in them after!

That's why I only do it occassionally too. The boiling water seems to not have the same effect.

I use vinegar every time, along with hot water from the bath tap. For stubborn stains, I leave neat vinegar on for a while and it works wonders. I always rinse well and air dry overnight.

Boiling water, a squirt of clean and safe wipe dry with kitchen roll and every once in a while boiling vinegar to remove the calcium!

I just rinse mine under the cold tap outside. When they start to look mucky (usually after many weeks of only rinsing with cold water) then I give them a scrub with boiled vinegar and bicarb.

Back