• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't forget to Rear Guard!

Tis that time again...

:thumb: Yup. I have just put up a fly screen last weekend ( just covers the main shed door not the runs but will help) , ordered my fly guard off AniMed and they are booked in for their vaccinations next week :thumb:

Gold Star for you Lisa :wave::lol:

:lol: my bunnes had a pampering day, mabel had a full groom and any knots removed, she tends to get little knots as she has lots of fur, and they had their nails trimmed, and scent glands too :lol:

:lol: my bunnes had a pampering day, mabel had a full groom and any knots removed, she tends to get little knots as she has lots of fur, and they had their nails trimmed, and scent glands too :lol:

My Fraggle had a hair cut :D First bit of nice weather and it's MOT time 'eh? ;)

my Bun has just started being a garden Bun; we have moved. I feel stupid but is rear guard to prevent fly strike and where can I buy it and how do I use it????

And don't forget if you wash your bunny where it was put on it become ineffective :(

Just what I was about to ask. Parsnip is getting very stiff and sometimes sits or walks in a soft poop that he's not managed to reach. I was going to rearguard him but wondered about washing him should he get mucky. How often is it safe to re-apply?

Just what I was about to ask. Parsnip is getting very stiff and sometimes sits or walks in a soft poop that he's not managed to reach. I was going to rearguard him but wondered about washing him should he get mucky. How often is it safe to re-apply?

I don't know. I rang the manufacturers and they confirmed that if you bath a rabbit it becomes ineffective, so to me it is a pretty pointless product as it is the incontinent ones that need washing that are most at risk! Personally i wouldn't be happy reapplying it regularly

:thumb: Yup. I have just put up a fly screen last weekend ( just covers the main shed door not the runs but will help) , ordered my fly guard off AniMed and they are booked in for their vaccinations next week :thumb:

I was wondering whether a fly screen would be helpful, but I would only be able to do the main front door of the hutch, not the small opening that leads to their run. Do you think it's worth it? I wondered if it might be worse, if a fly got in through the small door and then couldn't easily get out through the big one.

I was thinking of installing a cat flap to replace the sliding door between hutch and run, but I'd need some help so that would take a while to organise.

Do you think it would be a good idea to get something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLY-INSEC...=UK_HG_ScreensShutters_RL&hash=item1e6c7110e3

I was wondering whether a fly screen would be helpful, but I would only be able to do the main front door of the hutch, not the small opening that leads to their run. Do you think it's worth it? I wondered if it might be worse, if a fly got in through the small door and then couldn't easily get out through the big one.

I was thinking of installing a cat flap to replace the sliding door between hutch and run, but I'd need some help so that would take a while to organise.

Do you think it would be a good idea to get something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLY-INSEC...=UK_HG_ScreensShutters_RL&hash=item1e6c7110e3

Yes that is what I have used :thumb:

I think anything that helps to prevent the likelihood of flies getting to them can only be a good thing. I haven't done my attached runs as I don't feel that's necessary ( there are no litter trays/muck in them and my rabbits are not incontinent or elderly) but I have just done the main door into the shed as it's large and would definitely be where flies would enter.

P1030228.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know. I rang the manufacturers and they confirmed that if you bath a rabbit it becomes ineffective, so to me it is a pretty pointless product as it is the incontinent ones that need washing that are most at risk! Personally i wouldn't be happy reapplying it regularly

I agree, Rear Guard seems uber strong stuff to last as long as it does, I would never re-apply it too soon. But what about something like this for buns who need washing regularly. This says weekly.

http://www.pegasuspets.co.uk/beaphar-fly-free-prevent-fly-strike-in-rabbits.ir?cName=furries-wellbeing

Does this include indoor rabbits too?

All rabbits whether they live indoors or out are at risk of flystrike. The ones more at risk are ones who have wounds, have dirty bottoms either through urine or faecal staining or are frail or sick.

For those in good health and active they are less at risk of flystrike and it is not necessary to apply strong chemicals such as rearguard. Obviously good hygeine in cleaning out and regular twice daily checks for soiling, wounds and any signs of flystrike is essential. The use of net curtains or fly screens all help

Have a look at this thread for more information http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?277712-do-i-or-dont-i&highlight=rearguard

I agree, Rear Guard seems uber strong stuff to last as long as it does, I would never re-apply it too soon. But what about something like this for buns who need washing regularly. This says weekly.

http://www.pegasuspets.co.uk/beaphar-fly-free-prevent-fly-strike-in-rabbits.ir?cName=furries-wellbeing

Yes I use a beapher spray for those that are at medium risk and only need the occasional wash. But for those that are incontinent and need daily washing I don't use anything as there is nothing that would work on them

Back