• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please, Milly isn't right

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
She's not eating, flopping a lot and breathing a bit quick.
She isn't acting in pain.
She last ate a few hours ago that I saw.

With her flopping a lot, I'm wondering if she's too warm? How can I cool her down quickly? The windows open and a fan's on, but I don't know what else would make a difference quickly.

This is not how she normally acts when in stasis.

Saying vets asap is useless - my main vets is now closed and the emergancy vet knows nothing so I have to know what I'm doing before I go or they won't have a clue, I need advice of what to try.

She's not eating, flopping a lot and breathing a bit quick.
She isn't acting in pain.
She last ate a few hours ago that I saw.

With her flopping a lot, I'm wondering if she's too warm? How can I cool her down quickly? The windows open and a fan's on, but I don't know what else would make a difference quickly.

This is not how she normally acts when in stasis.

Saying vets asap is useless - my main vets is now closed and the emergancy vet knows nothing so I have to know what I'm doing before I go or they won't have a clue, I need advice of what to try.

When Bramble was like this, he had an upper respiratory infection. When you go to the vets get them to check her temperature and then listen to her chest.

Check her ears too, if she's ridiculously warm, her ears will be really hot at the base. To cool her down, open a window whilst you're waiting to go to the vets.

She'll need some painkillers and something to bring her temp down when you get there (although I think metacam does this anyway) by injection. If her chest sounds off, she needs some oxygen... Bramble did when he had his resp infection.

Sorry I can't be much help :(

I think it's the heat... She's more responsive now with the window open and the fan on her.
I know she didn't deal with the heat well last year, she jut has to be a little bit too warm to be really lathergic but not enough to not respond to me

I think it's the heat... She's more responsive now with the window open and the fan on her.
I know she didn't deal with the heat well last year, she jut has to be a little bit too warm to be really lathergic but not enough to not respond to me

Bramble reacts really badly to the heat aswell.

Maybe you could get an icepod thing from P@H, the ones like snugglesafes and just have the window open and the fan on whilst it's so hot.

We've had to keep our window open all night and day for Bramble as he'll become unresponsive too when too hot.

Have you got anything in the fridge/freezer you could put next to her to cool her down?

(Maybe not the vodka sorbet though, don't want to get her drunk!)

They have cooling tiles so I've put them in the freezer.
She seems ok now I gave her my fan! She's in the litter tray eating hay. I'm going to have to keep a reallllly close eye on the temp, seems 16 degrees and over and she can't handle it :(

I changed the litter tray and she's dived straight in and started eating... Definatly the heat!
Looks like I'm buying them their own fan...

Easily done, Ginger seems to react very badly to most things 19+, we went into 'measures' today.

Measures involve leaving 3 frozen 2L bottles of water in random locations in their room. On at least 3 or 4 occasions today, i've caught Ginger laying right against one.

Biscuit just licks them :roll:

This is why i have not been looking forward to spring/summer :(

Vibes for continued recovery for Milly.

Easily done, Ginger seems to react very badly to most things 19+, we went into 'measures' today.

Measures involve leaving 3 frozen 2L bottles of water in random locations in their room. On at least 3 or 4 occasions today, i've caught Ginger laying right against one.

Biscuit just licks them :roll:

This is why i have not been looking forward to spring/summer :(

Vibes for continued recovery for Milly.

I think I'm going to have to start leaving frozen bottles about again.
I hate the hot weather anyway, but seeing my little girl like that is horrible. Charlie's fine, which is weird as he's a bit overweight and long haired too... But it just hits her so badly.

She's 100% back to normal now

So glad she's okay. You can put a bowl of ice cubes behind the fan so it sucks in the really cold air from on top of them and blows it at the bunnies.
I also give my chinchillas ice cubes to eat in the summer, I wonder if bunnies would like them?

So glad she's okay. You can put a bowl of ice cubes behind the fan so it sucks in the really cold air from on top of them and blows it at the bunnies.
I also give my chinchillas ice cubes to eat in the summer, I wonder if bunnies would like them?

Julie always sits in front of the freezer waiting for those stray ice cubes that get caught in the ice maker to melt a little and drop. She licks and chews them. Glad that Milly is feeling cooler and eating and breathing right. Julie breathes fast like that when she is hot too. She dumps her water bowl though and lies in it.

Back