• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay hay!

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
Today in my local vets pet shop I was asked an interesting question by a young girl.

She asked me whats the best hay for rabbits. She said she had read online that her rabbits should eat more hay than anything else and she was confused because someone on a forum had told her there were hays that were delicious to the buns but not that nutritious

Its something she said she wasnt that educated about and none of her friends who are rabbit owners and feed them mainly hay diets too, didnt know.

I directed her to this site and said I would start a thread on it for her, she says she wants to learn all she can about hay

I told her grass hays like Timothy are the good hays and that alfalfa type should be limited.

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea to have a mix of hay to get different nutrients if possible, rather than sticking purely to one type of hay. So meadow hay is good because that's a mix. But it's not a big issue as long as they get lots of hay, a small amount pellets will pick up any difficiency. The only hay that isn't good though is alfalfa.

Back