• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wow, Amazing Rabbit Information *Sarcasm Alert*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
On a Rex Breeder Website I have just read that 'if you look after your Rex well and retire Does from Breeding after 4 years they can live for up to 5 years.

Well, well, well...................

:roll:

Where I got Harvey from said 5-7 years and the girl even said "5 years is good for a rabbit" :roll: I didn't know much about rabbits when I got Harvey but I still thought that sounded wrong! (I checked as soon as I got home and realised rabbits can live a lot longer which made me happy :p )

I had better tell several of my Rexes that they are well past their 'Sell By' dates, especially Miss Bunny Penny who is 11

Rabbits212_pe.jpg

Sadly 5-7 is the average for a "hutch" rabbit, you know the kind in a hutch with no/tiny run and fed on museli :( our rabbits are the exception to the rule it seems :(

I'd email some photos of your OAP rexes. :D
Is there a guest book area on the site? Maybe leave a comment there too if there is one.

When my vet and I were talking about Dylan - who must be over eight now - he said that most buns he sees only live until 4 or 5 but that from what he is told most of them have been purchased at PAH or other pet shops.

Although my buns are all rescue buns most of them probably started out in pet shops and some sadly have died before they reached 5, despite me doing my best to keep them healthy. He did say that with some of the buns I have had who died 'young' it was the way they were kept while they were growing that did the damage.

I guess that does make sense in a way but Munchkin died young and she was born in rescue. Some of her siblings died young too so maybe some deaths are caused by genetic problems and the poor buns won't live a long life no matter how well we look after them.

None of my buns have lived to be really old and I do worry maybe I am doing something wrong, but can't think what.

Dare I say that Miss BP was bought from a Pet Shop and originated from a Rex Breeder who is still Breeding....................

with rexes and 'normal' type rabbits (normal as in no over exagerated features i.e. big, small, short faced, long fur etc) i always say 8-10 is average but they can live a lot longer, not sure why someone would assume a rex would only reach 5

Back