• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newly bonded buns - space query

catherine09

Mama Doe
Hettie and Sweep came home yesterday, and all day were confined to the wendyhouse, initially just the bottom level then I opened up the top level for them. Absolutely no problems at all.

Today I opened up the run, both buns went to investigate and are now snuggled up together on the shelf in the wendyhouse.

Now, I know you have to be careful with space, and I have been but they are being so good, and nothing to suggest the space is too larg, there is no chasing or anything, they are still snuggling up together and sharing a food bowl wonderfully.

Do I let them have a bit of free range in the garden this afternoon under close supervision, or is it too soon? It's such a lovely day and I can tell both buns would absolutely love to have a whole garden to run and binky in!

:shock: sweep has a wife :shock: how did I miss this !!!!

Awwwwwww bless him :love:

I am no bonding expert but I was recommended to leave settings for a few days then gradually increase the space as long as things seemed to be continuing well ..

That answer isnt very helpful .. sorry hun! I would hold off with free range time just yet

Hope someone comes along with better advice :thumb: xx

Personally, i'd say too soon.

I'd want to keep them in the environment they are in for a good few days to ensure the amount of space they have now doesn't upset things.

:shock: sweep has a wife :shock: how did I miss this !!!!

Awwwwwww bless him :love:

I am no bonding expert but I was recommended to leave settings for a few days then gradually increase the space as long as things seemed to be continuing well ..

That answer isnt very helpful .. sorry hun! I would hold off with free range time just yet

Hope someone comes along with better advice :thumb: xx

There's a thread with pics on GB and on here :)

Yes, I know you have to be careful with space and get them used to things, it's just they've been so good bless them :)

Personally, i'd say too soon.

I'd want to keep them in the environment they are in for a good few days to ensure the amount of space they have now doesn't upset things.

Yes, I guess they wil have to stay as they are for the moment, I would t want to jeopardise their bond by giving them too much space too soon.

When would anyone recommend I let them out into the garden? Perhaps tomorrow? They will have been in their new environment for 2 full days then.

There's a thread with pics on GB and on here :)

Yes, I know you have to be careful with space and get them used to things, it's just they've been so good bless them :)

Yes, I guess they wil have to stay as they are for the moment, I would t want to jeopardise their bond by giving them too much space too soon.

When would anyone recommend I let them out into the garden? Perhaps tomorrow?

How long have they been in the playhouse/run setup?

I'd say 3-5 days of being comfortable in that environment before you increase it at all.

I will have to have a nosey .. I know it must be hard and the lovely weather isnt helping but if you can I would agree with Graham L and leave it as long as possible. There set up is lovely and big!

P.s just think they have lots and lots of days ahead of them to play in the garden x

They've been in the wendyhouse since 11am on Sunday and I opened up the cat flap into the run at 9 this morning.

While they were being bonded at the rescue however, they were given free range of their hallway, and all was ok there. Hmm

I guess I just feel bad that they are cooped up, but really they're not cooped up at all, it just seems it as Sweep used to have daily free ranging.

Leave it til at least Weds I think

calculate the sq footage .. they are not cooped up sweetie. I have all my fingers and toes crossed for a long happy life together for them xx

(remember it is only temporary)

Personally I would go more slowly, I would recommend at least a month before allowing them free range in a garden, particuarly if this is somewhere that one of them has had access to previously. It is better to take it slowly than go to fast and then have to go through the process of rebonding / settling them again

Back