• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bramble will be getting a boyfriend in the near furure

BrambleBerry

Warren Scout
I have been gently dropping hints to my boyfriend that i would like to get Bramble a boyfriend. He has always said no :( a stern no at that lol. Anyway yesterday he actually said it would be ok! :shock: I am in complete shock!

I did say it would be when all my hamsters have gone to the bridge (about a years time). So there is a little wait for her but i am so pleased he has told be i could get her a friend :D

I know this is early to be thinking about things but i am so excited, if i am jumping the gun please tell me lol.

I currently have Bramble in a dog crate but obviously 2 rabbits will need loads more space. What kind of size would be acceptable. Bearing in mind they will only be in the cage/crate while i am at work/go to bed. I am hoping that they can have their own room but as i am moving soon i am not sure what we will end up in. Are rabbits ok on lino/tiles/laminate flooring?

Secondly i want to rescue a male but i am worried Bramble may not want a friend. Is there anyway of trying her out with a rabbit first? I don't want to end up with 2 lone rabbits. She is spayed and she seems like she would enjoy company but....she can be a bit of a madam some days :roll:

Thirdly i am seeing posts about rabbits fighting and having to be split up after a successful bond. I am concerned that (knowing my luck) this will happen to me. Is there any reason why pairs suddenly fight? I would hate for Bramble to get hurt or be alone after knowing company (if that makes sense).

Sorry for all the questions but i want to get my facts right before i commit to the idea that Bramble may one day have a boyfriend :oops:

I've done my answers in bold :)

I currently have Bramble in a dog crate but obviously 2 rabbits will need loads more space. What kind of size would be acceptable. Bearing in mind they will only be in the cage/crate while i am at work/go to bed. I am hoping that they can have their own room but as i am moving soon i am not sure what we will end up in. Are rabbits ok on lino/tiles/laminate flooring? In some respects it depends on the size of the rabbits, but the bigger the better. You could contact those rescues around you and ask what they rehome to, and then create something based on that. Most rabbits are fine with most floor types but you'll have to watch their feet and also it can be hard to really run around on slippery surfaces so they will need something else too.

Secondly i want to rescue a male but i am worried Bramble may not want a friend. Is there anyway of trying her out with a rabbit first? I don't want to end up with 2 lone rabbits. She is spayed and she seems like she would enjoy company but....she can be a bit of a madam some days :roll: Most rescues will allow you to date your girl with their boys (make sure they are vaccinated and neutered) so that she can choose her own friend. That gives it a better chance of being successful

Thirdly i am seeing posts about rabbits fighting and having to be split up after a successful bond. I am concerned that (knowing my luck) this will happen to me. Is there any reason why pairs suddenly fight? I would hate for Bramble to get hurt or be alone after knowing company (if that makes sense). There is always a reason. Sometimes you are aware of it, sometimes not, but things like illness, referred aggression, weather, etc, can all play a part. You hear far more stories of bunnies having problems than hapily bonded bunnies without problems though because people dont need to share about their happy bunnies, normally people post and ask when their bunnies are not happy. So bear in mind all you read is not proportionate

Thank you for your answers Sky-O. I will contact some rescues and see what they say about housing and i will also ask about dating. I will then just have to cross my fingers and hope Bramble doesn't throw a strop with her new friend when bonded lol.

Back