• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Today, I asked myself why on earth I even have pets....

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Because Fluffster's death has seriously broken my heart, I asked myself (like I always do) why I have pets....seeing as them dying is inevitable....maybe I'd be better off without that in my life etc.....

Then I went down to check on the bunnies, and the first thing Bella did was run up to me binkying, and then proceed to sit down next to me and lick my arm for ages :love:

Losing a pet is always difficult, but honestly, what would I do without them :love:

It's about the time that we do have with them. To experience life with them and show them love and receive the same in return with their companionship x

Because Fluffster's death has seriously broken my heart, I asked myself (like I always do) why I have pets....seeing as them dying is inevitable....maybe I'd be better off without that in my life etc.....

Then I went down to check on the bunnies, and the first thing Bella did was run up to me binkying, and then proceed to sit down next to me and lick my arm for ages :love:

Losing a pet is always difficult, but honestly, what would I do without them :love:

So true ((hugs)))

When our 16 year old dog died we were all heart broken, but my son said a few days later, that he'd go thru those horrid last days again, to have the fantastic 16 years we'd had with her :love:

I have to agree with this :thumb:

When our 16 year old dog died we were all heart broken, but my son said a few days later, that he'd go thru those horrid last days again, to have the fantastic 16 years we'd had with her :love:

:thumb:

Aw, that's such a lovely way to put it :love: So true as well.

in situations like this, and I've recently been there myself, I always quote this

“We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we would still live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only
certain immortality, never fully
understanding the necessary plan.”

I have found these words from Cleveland Amory put things into perspective:

"Unlike some people who have experienced the loss of an animal, I did not believe, even for a moment, that I would never get another. I did know full well that there were just too many animals out there in need of homes for me to take what I have always regarded as the self-indulgent road of saying the heartbreak of the loss of an animal was too much ever to want to go through with it again.

To me, such an admission brought up the far more powerful admission that all the wonderful times you had with your animal were not worth the unhappiness at the end."

This is all so true. I wondered the same briefly after I lost my bun Tilly and was completely heartbroken. But I soon realised that she was worth every single tear I shed for her, and more, as are all of my buns :love:

I cant bear the thought of them dying so I just try not to think about it until the hurrendous time is upon us :cry:

I have found these words from Cleveland Amory put things into perspective:

"Unlike some people who have experienced the loss of an animal, I did not believe, even for a moment, that I would never get another. I did know full well that there were just too many animals out there in need of homes for me to take what I have always regarded as the self-indulgent road of saying the heartbreak of the loss of an animal was too much ever to want to go through with it again.

To me, such an admission brought up the far more powerful admission that all the wonderful times you had with your animal were not worth the unhappiness at the end."

I was thinking about this last night, as I looked at Fluffster's empty cage. As much as it hurts that he's gone, I don't regret taking him in, not for a second. I don't regret falling in love with him and doing my best to improve his life in every way possible. I don't regret becoming so attached to him during this short time. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat, because really, the best way in which you can honour a deceased pet, is to give another the same opportunity for a better life. There are so many other little critters out there in need of a loving home, and to ignore them just to save yourself the heartbreak of losing one again, that I find selfish.

Losing my rabbits will be a slightly different story I imagine, but I try not to think about that. I always do carry in the back of my head, however, how lucky I am to have them in my life and how much I appreciate every day I get to spend with them. I know they are fragile creatures that should never be taken for granted, and thus I always make sure I let them know how much they mean to me.

Ten months ago we lost our Eclectus parrot of 33 years. After such a long time with one pet the sense of loss was so profound we felt that there would no longer be parrots in our lives. Five months after Eric's passing we were contacted by the parrot rescue who had a female Eclectus stray urgently needing a home. She was being cared for by a vet practice which had exhaustively searched for her family to no avail. They could not keep caring for her and wanted her in a more permanent home. It took us the best part of 10 seconds to consider before saying yes to the parrot rescue.

Aoife has been with us for five months now and she is such a cheery little girl, although she will give you a nip without warning. It would have been selfish of us to not offer her the home she so desperately needed and deserved and we get repaid over and over again by her clownish behaviour and incessant talking.:)

Losing pets is very hard, but if their passing allows another to be given a chance at a proper life with love and care then that is their legacy. They are never being replaced, it is only succession.

Absolutely 100% agree. Watching a beloved pet decline and eventually pass is gut-wrentching but the joy and happiness they bring throughout their short lives is worth the pain. After a particularly pants day at work, nothing beats the welcome that I get from my dogs as I walk through the door. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by their joy at seeing you.

It's awful when your pet dies. My cat of 21 died years ago but I never regretted having her however painful it was without her afterwards.

I now have a mini lop of 11 months. She always rattles her hutch doors when she wants her pellets in the morning and it was getting as early as 5.30 am! Then she didn't rattle one morning and she was really ill not eating. She's OK now after £350 worth of tests and treatment, but I really don't care how much it's cost as she's worth a lot more than that. After 2 weeks of not rattling the hutch I now love hearing it and think bless her.

You can never replace your little rabbit but at least she had a loving home and enjoyed her life with you.

Back