• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

letting my house rabbits out in the garden for the first time question?

hayley2126

Warren Scout
Hey all my 3 house buns have not been out in the garden yet as we got them in the october and due to weather have been kept in. I would like to let them out for some free ranging with me out there of course but does it matter if they have not had grass before (this may be a very stupid quest) In the garden atm are evergreen trees and grass and stones no plants or gaps in fences etc been bun proofed. All they have inside is hay timothy hay dried greens and now and again freash herbs. Could grass upset their tums. Sorry i no rabbits are born to be outside and graze grass so feel i should no this :oops::oops: but just wanted to check before i do it. Thank you .

Good question :) The answer is yes, the grass could cause stomachs to be problematical.

Spring grass is actually the worst as well because it's so rich. You need to introduce grass slowly and when they first go out, have just short burst and build it up, but if you can introduce it to them whilst they are inside, then that might be a good way forwards :) For spring grass and unknown bunnies, I do it by increasing by one blade a day. I'm over cautious though :lol:

Thanks sky i will keep them in then and as i do not give veg ill give a little grass in the eve as a treat instead and see how we get on. How long would you recommend doing this for before i let them run around. I can not wait to see them playing in the freash air :lol:

I'd increase it gradually and wait until you are comfortable their tummies can tolerate a large amount, or until you cut your grass so they will be eating less of it but they still need to be able to tolerate a fair bit.

Also, once you know they will come when called :lol:

Back