• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting un-vaxd rabbits?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave:

We are still discussing the idea of adopting a second pair of buns :love: We have a local rescue here (burton bunnies) which has over 100 bunnies in at the moment and I have been looking at their facebook page...they neuter their buns but they are unvaxed...what would the proceedure be with bringing them home if we went ahead with it? Obviously we would get them vaxed ASAP but how do we protect P&D from anything? they would be living in a seperate hutch and run but in the same garden as P&D?

:wave:

We are still discussing the idea of adopting a second pair of buns :love: We have a local rescue here (burton bunnies) which has over 100 bunnies in at the moment and I have been looking at their facebook page...they neuter their buns but they are unvaxed...what would the proceedure be with bringing them home if we went ahead with it? Obviously we would get them vaxed ASAP but how do we protect P&D from anything? they would be living in a seperate hutch and run but in the same garden as P&D?

As long as P + D are up to date with their vaccinations they they will be protected as much as is possible. I would always keep any new Rabbits quarantined for at least a week anyway regardless of the new Rabbit's vaccination status xx

good point...when you say quarrentine what exactly would you do? just keep them seperate (which they would be anyway)?

Edit to add that P&D are both up to date with myxo and VHD.

good point...when you say quarrentine what exactly would you do? just keep them seperate (which they would be anyway)?

Edit to add that P&D are both up to date with myxo and VHD.

By quarantine I mean no direct contact or sharing of exercise areas. Housed as far apart as possible. Cleaning out and handling done after attending to the needs of P + D and separate cleaning utensils etc. Hand washing after handling new Rabbits or their bedding.

Ori (from BARC) wasn't vaccinated, so I agreed to pay for his VHD to be done (we have a cat) a couple of weeks before we got him and then he had his myxi once we got him home.

brilliant, thanks! :) Im wondering if I was really worried about it if I could pay for them to vaccinate the buns before they came home...

As said by jacks-jane ...the risk is to the newcomers, not your existing rabbits as long as your existing buns are vaccinated .. if they are up to date then a quarentine period should be enough ... we will vaccinate before rehoming if requested ..but charge for this .. i dont see why the rescue wouldnt do this if you asked .

Last edited:
Back