• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Half wild half domestic kits

wildbuck

New Kit
How do they differ (if they differ at all) to full domestics in terms of the age: their eyes open, they start to leave the nest, they are weaned?

Just to add.. I know about vaccinations,potential diseases from wild rabbits, neutering, separating, housing.

The female rabbit was mated while I was on holidays and had someone I thought I could trust to look after them corectly minding them. anyway she never closed the hutch door properly etc........ The female was due to be neutered the following week..

Information on the questions at the top would be great. I dont want to turn this into another moaning thread about irresponsible rabbit owners. cheers!

AFAIK developmental stages are the same

If the mating was recent- ie in the last week or so, then an emergency spay for the Doe is another option. Although I realise not everyone is happy with doing what is effectively a spay and a termination or pregnancy.

too late there ar 5 kits 10 days old. sory i was un clear. she was due to be neutered 1 wkeek after she gave birth.

Jane is right. All mile stones are the same, but as they grow they will likely become amazing houdinis, who need masses and masses of space and need huge amount of stimulation. They are neither domestic nor wild, but both domestic and wild. They are the most amazing bunnies to watch, but they will need huge levels of care.

There is a sticky in the health section about babies. It might be worth reading that :)

All mile stones are the same

Thanks. They all look wild, today their eyes are starting to have narrow slits. is it a week after the eyes open that they usually leave their nest? I should add they are in an outdoor hutch in a pen. so they will be able to go out and play on the grass when they are ready.

very helpful. i ment to ask do half wildies tend to be more nocturnal than full domestics?
This will hopefully be useful for her. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923

They can leave the nest anytime after their eyes are open. In the wild mum is often already pregnant and so kicks them out at around 4 weeks and they can survive then but in domestic situations they should stay with mum for longer and will likely be happier to do so :)

Back