• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfafa King Timothy Hay

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Hello!

Want to get the bunnies some posh hay as a present for the weekend. We normally get Oxbow for them to eat but we've run out and we can't get it from anywhere until at least Monday (our vets sell it)

Is Alfafa King Timothy Hay a good hay? Pets@Home have it and we can pick up a bag today

Thank you!
Stuart

Jenson loves it and it smells great. I've only had one pack that was a bit dry otherwise it's very consistent. Has lots of seed heads too and he loves those.

My one word of warning is that it isn't dust extracted so you will need to pull it apart (double compressed) and give it a shake before giving it to them. This works for us but it may depend on your buns noses.
I like it because Jenson eats most of it rather than being as selective about which bits he eats and the quality is quite consistent. He did have P@H timothy hay but the quality varied too much and the last few packs didn't smell nice and he wouldn't go near.

He also likes the excel herbage too so he gets both.

Last edited:
Spenser will not eat it, but there are other buns on RU that really love it. It looks and smells amazing, but doesn't seem to suit Mr Fussy here. :roll:

None of mine will touch the American Timothy. We've tried Alfalfa King, Oxbow and American Timothy from Dust Free Hay but they turn their noses up at ALL of it :roll::roll::roll:. Normal stalky from DFH is a firm favourite.

Thank you everyone :)

The Alfafa King has, uh, certainly... made me bloody sneeze! Ha. They love it though. But my goodness. I don't suffer horribly with hay fever but I do a little. It's a good job I love these bunnies!

They seem as happy with Alfafa King Timothy Hay as they did with Oxbow, which is pleasing. Dusty guy, this Alfafa King though...

Thank you everyone :)

The Alfafa King has, uh, certainly... made me bloody sneeze! Ha. They love it though. But my goodness. I don't suffer horribly with hay fever but I do a little. It's a good job I love these bunnies!

Yes same with me. I tend to find that with bagged hay though, the dust has nowhere to go to. I sort it out into boxes, one in each bunny room and it's ok after that.

D'oh... *Alfalfa! Wrong all this time... tsk.

I will try your box idea actually. It nearly kills me every time I go near this bag of hay!

Back