• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

kind of urgent - rabbit vet wanted in Falkirk area and health query

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Yesterday at around 6pm we noticed Roly was off colour. On the vets advice we gave him 0.3ml metacam and while he wasn't completely himself he was still very bright, moving around but not eating (he ran up for a treat at 5.30pm and had been eating fine until that point).

Given we've had plenty practice with gut stasis (our other rabbit is prone to it) we didn't quite think that this was the problem. He seemed to start grooming himself then stop after a few seconds as though it was uncomfortable. Wondered whether he'd hurt himself so phone the vet again at 9pm. At this point we realised it wasn't our actual vet practice we were speaking to. Apparently at the weekend the practice has now started using "Pet 999" or something which is based at a large vet practice in Stirling (10 mile drive). I didn't like the idea of phoning an out of hours vet only to take pot luck on who we got to speak to given we originally moved to the practice in Larbert due to the head vets reputation for being excellent with rabbits.

Anyway we went in and got the usual zantac, metaclopramide and a pain killer which was ibuprofin based and started with a v. At the time he was still relatively bright and still drinking so didn't op for fluids. After another 2 hours though he sill wasn't eating so we started syringe feeding him small amounts of critical care.

However he got worse and was very unresponsive so at 4am we decided we couldn't wait til the usual practice opened so once again went through to Stirling.

The vet then gave 60ml of sub cut fluids after I told her to. She says she can't tell if there are any blockages but that his stomach feels gassy and nothing had moved since he was last in.

Since he's got home he's taken 2 rather large drinks from a bowl and I have syringed him 1ml of pineapple juice after the vet suggested it. He's been sat beside Honey looking rather miserable but ever so slightly more comfortable ever since.

I have a feeling we will be at the vet for opening time but is there anything I should ask for?

Also can anyone receommend a good rabbit vet in the Falkirk area that do their own out of hours service? I am so dissapointed my normal practice no longer does this. :(

Last edited:
I suspect the 'V' drug was opiate based not ibuprofen based- ie it was Vetergesic

This can cause marked sedation in some Rabbits which may well account for the change in his demeanour

Regardless of his eating, the more important thing atm is *has he poo'd* ??

Really he needs to be assessed again and prokinetics (if no obstruction), fluids and suitable analgesia probably need to be ongoing.

Hasn't pooped since about 5.30pm yesterday.

The vet definately said the drug was ibuprofin based but your right it was vetergestic. He got 1ml of that at 9.30pm but given he was so dopey afterwards we opted not to have him given it again when we went back at 4am.

The vet pracice we'd normally visit with the good vet opens at 9am. Would I be better waiting until it opens rather than take him back to the emergency one do you think? She was convinced that there was no way of feeling for an obstruction.

Hasn't pooped since about 5.30pm yesterday.

The vet definately said the drug was ibuprofin based but your right it was vetergestic. He got 1ml of that at 9.30pm but given he was so dopey afterwards we opted not to have him given it again when we went back at 4am.

The vet pracice we'd normally visit with the good vet opens at 9am. Would I be better waiting until it opens rather than take him back to the emergency one do you think? She was convinced that there was no way of feeling for an obstruction.

Vetergesic is most definitely NOT Ibuprofen based

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Alstoe_Ltd/Vetergesic/-48138.html

Which makes me have doubts about the Vet if she definitely said it was

Given the lack of fecal output Roly does need to be seen again ASAP, but preferably by a Vet who is Rabbit savvy

Pineapple Juice will do little to help and the sugars in it could well exacerbate problems by causing a proliferation of 'bad' gut bacteria. So until he is seen by another Vet I would only administer water by mouth.

Vetergesic is most definitely NOT Ibuprofen based

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Alstoe_Ltd/Vetergesic/-48138.html

Which makes me have doubts about the Vet if she definitely said it was

Given the lack of fecal output Roly does need to be seen again ASAP, but preferably by a Vet who is Rabbit savvy

Pineapple Juice will do little to help and the sugars in it could well exacerbate problems by causing a proliferation of 'bad' gut bacteria. So until he is seen by another Vet I would only administer water by mouth.

I thought the same re the pineapple juice which is why we stopped using it with Honey. I'm reluctant to give him anything more as there is still "stuff" in his stomach and the vet was unable to rule out a blockage.

If we took him to the emergency vet that's a 35min car journey to see a vet I have 0-no confidence in.

If we opted to take him to the usual practice we'd most likely get our usual vet who is rabbit savvy and the car journey would be around 5min.

He's sat next to Honey just now looking rather sorry for himself but more comfortable than he's been in the last 4 hours. His gut is making loud noises on ocassion.

I thought the same re the pineapple juice which is why we stopped using it with Honey. I'm reluctant to give him anything more as there is still "stuff" in his stomach and the vet was unable to rule out a blockage.

If we took him to the emergency vet that's a 35min car journey to see a vet I have 0-no confidence in.

If we opted to take him to the usual practice we'd most likely get our usual vet who is rabbit savvy and the car journey would be around 5min.

He's sat next to Honey just now looking rather sorry for himself but more comfortable than he's been in the last 4 hours. His gut is making loud noises on ocassion.

What time is the nearby Vet available ?

9am is when they open, though they would see him as an emergency if I turned up at this time.

I would contact them now, tell them what has been going on in the last 12 hours- including the dubious drug issue- and ask if they feel waiting til 9am is OK or if they think he needs to go in now.

I would contact them now, tell them what has been going on in the last 12 hours- including the dubious drug issue- and ask if they feel waiting til 9am is OK or if they think he needs to go in now.

Unfortunately I have no way of contacting them by phone. The emergency number given is the one for the other vet. :(

I think we're just going to head up for 8.30am and hammer on the door to be honest.

I live in Grangemouth which is right beside Falkirk, and i take my rabbits to the Royal (****) Vet just outside Edinburgh, 30 min drive.

Their phone number is 0131 650 7650, they offer the best care in Scotland, and the vets there are brilliant. http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/exotic-animal-service

They are open 24hrs.

I hope Roly is gets wells soon.

Thanks for this, I think we'll use this practice tonight if Roly is in the same position. :(

Back