• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet insurance....confused

ChloeBunny

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I am getting confused about pet insurance. Last year our cat Rodney had a bout of cystitis and needed treatment. We paid the bill in full on the day (very high as typically he got ill on Good Friday :roll:) and then claimed back through Petplan who he was insured with, all fine. But as our finances arent as good as they were this time last year if either Rodney or Chloe need treatment I dont think we could cover a big bill like that again. We left Petplan as we found similar cover much less with helpucover (currently only Rodney) as I dont know who to go with for Chloe.

Do you always have to pay the bill at the vets or can the vets claim direct from the insurers and I just pay the excess? or does it depend on the insurer/vet?

What insurance companies pay the vet direct?

Helpucover so far have been very good trying to sort out Rodneys cover (long story as old vet died and we cant get medical history) but at the moment he isnt covered although if they do agree to insure based on what I've told them then it will be backdated to when I applied (19th feb)!! So confusing :cry:

Sorry if I'm rambling but I just want to have them both covered with a good insurer and dont want to be paying over the odds :( Any advice gratefully received!!

The vets I work for will only do direct claims with petplan and very few others depending on the client. Never done a direct claim with Helpucover though.

The majority of vets will deal with petplan direct, some won't until they have paid for the first claim. Hope that helps :)

Ahhh thats great thankyou. I think I'll go to petplan for Chloe then. Probably best to stick with helpucover for Rodney though as I dont want this whole process to start over again (it's already been almost 6 weeks of phonecalls and letters :()

Mine wants payment after every consultation, bit of a pain but luckily the insurance company pay out quite quickly

I use Pets@Home insurance not had any issues with them.

I tend to pay for vets bills on the credit card then pay it off when the payout comes

Thats a good idea although sadly if I try and use my credit cards at the moment sirens and alarm bells start going off :oops:.....:roll:.....:lol:

Back