• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-bonding with my bun?

Klurr

Young Bun
Hello! Lately my gorgeous Izzy has come to, well, hate me. I know what's done it, it's all the trips to the vets, the injections, the cleaning up her bum, and now syringing antibiotics. Whenever I go in the room she seems to panic and hides :( For the next few days at least I'm stuck trying to catch her to give her her medicine. She won't come anywhere near me, if I do catch her she pants for a few minutes before calming down. She was never a cuddly bunny, she might stay for a few minutes but then she'd want down again. I was wondering what I could do to try and re bond with her? I sit on the floor with her and my other bun, but she ******* off and hides in a box :lol: I don't have any issues with my other bun, she comes over and nudges me/jumps on my back/the general "what are you doing" kinda thing. I was hoping that by Izzy seeing her mate do that she'd join in, but she doesn't :(

Anything I can do to try and build the trust back up again? It breaks my heart knowing she panics everytime I'm around her :(

You're right in that you know you have to regain her trust.

So I would wait until you have finished the meds, and the start hand feeding her, sitting on the floor and ignoring her, let her have the control. This might be useful for you. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

Also, does she have a boyfriend? When she is better, having a confident boyfriend might help her (if she doesn't already have one).

She has a girlfriend :love: They're completely inseperable. Bunbun is very confident and nosey which is why I was hoping Izzy would follow what she does, she usually does anyway! But whenever I sit down for some bunny bonding time Izzy always runs off to hide. I end up sitting on the floor playing "buckaroo" with Bunbun (it's quite fun, the aim of the game is to see how many leaves you can place on her head before she shakes them off :lol:!)

I have one bunny who is very outgoing and her best buddy is very withdrawn. I took them to the vets recently though and since then Bluebell has been a bit of a stroppy madam! I sat down with her tonight though and she came over and nudged me, sniffing etc. I'm hoping I've got her back 'on side'. Got another trip to the vets on Good Friday though so it'll be back to square one I think!

You're right in that you know you have to regain her trust.

So I would wait until you have finished the meds, and the start hand feeding her, sitting on the floor and ignoring her, let her have the control. This might be useful for you. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

Also, does she have a boyfriend? When she is better, having a confident boyfriend might help her (if she doesn't already have one).

I agree with what Sky-O has said about how to regain her trust.

It is difficult when you've got to keep tending to them and everytime they hate it.

I'm sure you'll eventually be the best of friends once again.:thumb:

She's being awkward and confusing me! :lol:

Gave her her antibiotic this morning which she hated, but whilst trying to do it I was calming her down and I (now) know two "sweets spots" on her where she will grind her teeth for me. She was doing that for quite a while, then we had some kisses when she'd taken her meds. I went out to her in her hutch about an hour ago to see how she was and give them so food and she seemed quite pleased to see me! It's like she's playing mind games :lol: I'm not sure that the bond is entirely broken, I think she might just be in a bit of a mood with me. Sometimes she'll happily let me touch/stroke her, she's still taking food out of my hand sometimes but other times she doesn't want to know. Hopefully when all of this back and forth to the vets and bathing/medicine is over we can get some quality time in.

That's the other thing, she still jumps to me when we go to the vets. No idea if people have rabbits that do that to them aswell, to me it's "save me mummy there's a stranger with needles who's gonna prod at me!" She flies off the table onto my chest/shoulder and hides in my neck :love:

She's a complex bunny!!!

Back