• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kenco Nearly Just Strangled Himself

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I can't stop shaking. I saw Kenco playing in and out of the curtains, and thought he was having a nice time playing in the curtains. It was only when I saw the curtain flapping and being dragged halfway across the room that I twigged he had something stuck in it. I thought it was "just" a claw or a foot, but as I got to him it was wrapped tightly round his neck. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

The more I tried to untangle him the more he panicked and tightened it! It was only a few seconds but it felt like time stood still and he was going in front of my eyes :cry: He started mouth-breathing and then let out a small squeal but just at that moment I managed to free him. He panted for a second or two and then ran off in to the corner, petrified. I tried to go over to him to stroke him to calm him, but he hopped off. But then he did let me stroke him and put his chin to the floor to be groomed. I had a feel under his chin and around his neck in case he had any wounds or anything like that.

Phone vets as I was in shock and needed to check if he needed to be examined, but was told it would stress him more and I needed to keep him calm, so to tempt him with some treats which I have just done - pear and basil, both of which he nommed. He is now sitting in his pen, but I am in bits, cant stop shaking and thinking how close we came.

I am a bad owner for not spotting the holes :cry::cry::cry::cry: I was so frightened for him :cry:

ETA: I am going to stay up for the next two hours to keep an eye on him.

Last edited:
Oh no! That had to of been terrifying. Thank goodness you remained calm enough to get him free. He is very lucky. The things that bunnies do.

He's snuggling next to me at the moment, I dont know who is more in shock, him or me.
I've jst taken the scissors to the curtains, and chopped out any holes, as I found another big one (they like to nibble and chew on it). They have also been raised off the floor. I think we'll have to look to take the hems up quite a bit at the weekend.

I am so angry with myself :cry::cry:

Oh Helen, how frightening and NO you are no a bad owner, it was an accident and bunnies are great at chewing things and then getting in a mess, please don't beat yourself up

I really hope you are OK now, please try to calm down and not worry otherwise he will get more stressed out, I am sure he will be fine, please give him lots of snuggles from me xxx

Thanks Theo. I am trying to calm down for his sake. We are both just sitting on the floor in the hallway, I am giving him lots of strokes and snuggles and he is nudging me every time I stop so we are trying to keep each other calm now.

Its just the shock at how quickly it all happened; and all that time he could have been caught in it and I thought he was playing!

Awwwww he is licking my dressing gown!

Oh bless, it sounds like you are both calming down now, I have had to cut the bottom of my curtain off that covers the front door, gorgeous Carlton Jamal chewed it into holes and I was afraid he would tangle in it so it's about 6 inches off the floor now:lol::lol:

Well done for spotting it and I am sure he will be fine now:love:

I wish I had the foresight you had Theo, could have avoided a scary near-miss like this. :(

These bunnies wanting to be interior designers eh? I think our curtains will look a bit odd raised up but never mind that, safety first. Just wish it hadnt taken this for me to realise it was a danger.

I'm calming down now but going to stay up with him just a little bit longer. He seems fine though.

How scary for you both. :shock: Try not to beat yourself up about it though - nobody's perfect and we can't think of every eventuality. I hope you're both ok this morning - I suspect it will take you much longer to forget what happened last night than it will Kenco. Huge hugs. xx

Hope you are feeling better this morning and that Kenco is none the worse for his experience xxx

I've only just read this thread - how scary for both of you! It's frightening just how quickly they can get themselves into trouble. I hope you and Kenco are feeling better this morning (and the curtains have had a good trim!) xx

How very frightening for you (both) - they're little menaces sometimes and do the silliest of things not realising the dangers - thankfully you have learned from this which will make you aware of other possible situations - I've learned a lot from mine doing silly and potentially scary things :roll::roll:
Hope you're both okay and rested today after the shock

oh how awful ...glad kenco is ok ..

try not to blame yourself ...and it all ended ok ..

weve had a couple of similar incidents over the last few years ... silly bunnies get up to soooo much ..

I'm glad all came right in the end. I can imagine the terror you must have felt. If only bunnies could realize we're trying to help and not panic.

I once thought Pip would like a large bath towel placed on the roof of her habitat to make her feel covered and safe. I left the room for maybe three minutes, when I got back I found her head thrown back whilst devouring the towel and her mouth open and her tongue working at the piece she had. I shrieked and began pulling it out of her mouth and no less than eight inches of shredded stringy towel threads came from where they had to have been lodged down her throat or windpipe...not sure which. Needless to say she's not allowed any fabric within nibbling distance anymore.

Nothing more frightening than a bunny who can find trouble in thirty seconds flat. >_<
I'm hoping you'll both be feeling better today.

Hope you are both well after Kenco's misadventure. :wave:

Some bunnies will somehow always manage to get into trouble, no matter how careful we are, so you mustn't blame yourself. xxx

Thanks everyone, we are both fine this morning. Kenco is happy and was begging for his breakfast. I still feel a bit on edge but I think its just because I know how close we came. The adrenalin seemed to kick in after. I had to ring my OH who is in the States at the moment and I dont think he could understand a word of what I was saying so I had to put the phone down and call him back!! :oops::oops: And then I managed to smash a candle holder we were given for Christmas :roll: so I knew I needed to take a few moments to calm down or I'd be making the situation worse. Me and Kenco then just snuggled up for an hour or so, and then he went binkying round the lounge just as it was time to go to bed! :lol:

Just lately he has been determined to get in to mischief!!

Mimzmum, it must have been so scary seeing your bun like that too and with the amount of towel that came out - you never would have thought it could happen from such a seemingly harmless object.

Oh hunni I have just seen this ((hugs))

Hope Kenco is doing okay now, and please dont beat yourself up or blame yourself!!

I think Mr Kenco needs sitting down and talking too and asking to keep up the good work with cheering you up but to keep his level of mischief at a happy level and stop scaring you!!

Sending him a big nose rub and cuddle.xx

Oh my goodness, how scary :cry: Please don't blame yourself, it's not your fault. Accidents happen, and you saved him. Hope you've both calmed down now. Sending hugs xx

Back