• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No poos! Update PTS :(

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
So I got stressed today and rushed Hit to the vets, I think he is stressed by the house move. Anyway the vet couldnt find anything wrong but since approx 12.30 today hes done No Poos NOT ONE!!!!He has been weeing fine and has eaten some grass, hay and coriander. But I have been watching him for ages and still not a poo; I even massaged his belly.
We set the shed up for him temporarily; I put his rug and his toys down and put his 4ft x 5ft run up inside it; he does seem much happied since I did this; he has also had some baytril, metoclopramide and critcical care and the vet gave him a baytril and steroid injection. She said she couldnt find anything wrong.
Should I be worried yet? I would usually expect loads of Poops but I feel maybe Im being inpatient!?
Also would he be able to stay in the shed tonight in the rug with his rug and blanket and rabbit house or would it still be too cold???he usually is indoors?
Thanks

Last edited:
If he has seen a vet I would say be patient, poos do tend to come in batches. Keep him eating, even if that means a few more pellets than usual.

yes, he has done plenty of wees in his litter tray but still no poos; just checked, do you think he may be cold?should I bring him in????argh sorry I feel like I dont know anything!!!

She gave him a steroid :?

Yes, most definitely bring him indoors

she said it would stimulate his appetite which I know steroids will do but otherwise didnt really explain why...she wasnt our usual vet because we had to just get any slot...Im not sure if its made any difference tbh

she said it would stimulate his appetite which I know steroids will do but otherwise didnt really explain why...she wasnt our usual vet because we had to just get any slot...Im not sure if its made any difference tbh

Steroids are generally not used for Rabbits due to the fact that Rabbits are extremely sensitive to the negative side effects- suppression of the immune system, gastric ulceration. Most Vets will only use a corticosteroid in exceptional circumstances or as a 'last resort'

I would be concerned if a steroid were given to a Rabbit by a Vet who 'could not find anything wrong'.

When did your Rabbit last pass any poo and is he eating/drinking ?

Did you say that he is in a new environment ?

Steroids are generally not used for Rabbits due to the fact that Rabbits are extremely sensitive to the negative side effects- suppression of the immune system, gastric ulceration. Most Vets will only use a corticosteroid in exceptional circumstances or as a 'last resort'

I would be concerned if a steroid were given to a Rabbit by a Vet who 'could not find anything wrong'.

When did your Rabbit last pass any poo and is he eating/drinking ?

Did you say that he is in a new environment ?

I have seen him drinking and as I said above he has eaten some hay, grass and corander; just went out to check on him and was going to bring him in but will leave it until later as he was eating some coriander and hopping about. He has passed urine quite a bit but definately doesnt seemed to have pooed so far today (from what Ive seen) Although this morning he was at the old flat and as we had moved furniture it was difficult to tell whether he had pooed or not; this pm we brought him up to the shed at the new house; so I could keep a close eye on him. It has been disruptive for him; we started moving on Monday and so his environment hasnt been usual for him; I bought him to the house today to try and settle him in one place; I think our other Bun stresses him out too; at the old flat Bun used to antagonise him just by his presence next door but now they are completely seperated he seems better.....

Ive brought him inside; now he is just looking at me like 'leave me alone'. I cant stop worrying about him. After he was de-plummed I stayed up until 2am making sure he did a poo.

Try not to overcrowd him, he may not go toilet if you are too close and he feels a bit uncomfortable

thanks, i have checked him this morning i found 1 strange dry looking poop :( I gave him some metaclopramide and pineapple juice and massaged his belly. I had a listen with my stethoscope and could hear quite a bit of gurgling, i thought he felt kind of bloated rather than that area feeling solid. gonna take him to the vet across the road this morning for a second opion. poor Hit :(

thanks, i have checked him this morning i found 1 strange dry looking poop :( I gave him some metaclopramide and pineapple juice and massaged his belly. I had a listen with my stethoscope and could hear quite a bit of gurgling, i thought he felt kind of bloated rather than that area feeling solid. gonna take him to the vet across the road this morning for a second opion. poor Hit :(

Okay, i've seen no mention of pain relief on this thread (if there is, sorry i missed it) - has he had any?

If he feels bloated, he needs to get to a vet, as it could be gas or an obstruction, in which case, metaclop could be the worst thing to give him. Also, i wouldn't give pineapple juice, as the sugars and other ingredients far outweight the bromide (?) which breaks down fur etc and could actually make things worse.

Loads of vibes.

Okay, i've seen no mention of pain relief on this thread (if there is, sorry i missed it) - has he had any?

If he feels bloated, he needs to get to a vet, as it could be gas or an obstruction, in which case, metaclop could be the worst thing to give him. Also, i wouldn't give pineapple juice, as the sugars and other ingredients far outweight the bromide (?) which breaks down fur etc and could actually make things worse.

Loads of vibes.

I know, no metacam, because they gave me soooo much stuff at the same time I thought the metaclopramide was metacam. Its weird because I know metaclopramide as an anti-sickness.
they gave him baytril but i havent aactually given him any, as i dont see why he would need antibiotics???but maybe im wrong.
he is going to a different vet in 10 mins hopefully they will be better....he has been drinking and weeing, but i havent seen him eat today :(
but i know hes not well because he isnt grunting at me!

he is at the vet having xrays and ultrasound, its not looking good :( the vet is concerned he has intussusception, is this something that could have been avoided???

he is at the vet having xrays and ultrasound, its not looking good :( the vet is concerned he has intussusception, is this something that could have been avoided???

Not sure how a vet would have that idea without an xray/ultrasound first, but still sending vibes.

Please ensure he has pain relief though.

Update; Hitley PTS :(

So the vet called us as Hit was under GA; he showed us his Xray and his whole abdomen was distended and even he stomach was swollen; you could clearly see what looked like an obstruction it looked like a 'target' so the vet said it meant it probably was intussusception; and that the bowel was completely obstructed; but the rest of his bowel was really bad aswell. The vet said his Blood Glucose was 20 so he had been in a lot of pain. Makes me feel really bad and angry at the previous vet for him not getting pain relief.
Anyway we discussed it with the vet and went to see Hit and he looked peaceful under anaesthetic.
I felt it was the best thing to do; the other option was possible bowel resection but I worry about those ops in humans (alarm bells start ringing becuase they are so serious) and the vet said he would be concerned re perforation which would obv concern me too. The vet was honest and said he would be happy to operate for the fact it would be interesting. I really liked the vet.
I hope Ive done the right thing; I feel that it is the right thing as humans dont have the luxury of being able to decide but then I decided for him.
I was also concerned as I know he is a very neurotic bun and would probably not recover well.
RIP Hit :cry:

Back