• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pie & Oberon bonded - Finally! (picture & text heavy!)

Pie

Warren Veteran
I put an update and picture up on the RU facebook group but thought I'd do something here too.

Right starting from the beginning for those who don't know...
Got Oberon (Obie) from Janes Rabbit Rescue in Warwickshire in Feb 2011, brought him home in same carrier as Pie (3hr drive) was all fine and dandy. They spnt the night together with no problems. Come morning Pie went for Obie. This turned into them living in separate pens in the living room for over a year.
Other bonds were attempted and all failed. Each would fly at each other resulting in a full, locked-on to each others faces, rolling on the floor fight. It was terrible to see. Very violent and sudden. The stress of this put Pie into bad stasis 4 times. One time almost killed her. At that point I said "no more".
As time went on the air cleared and they started to be put together for 1 minute at a time, twice a day. Lots of strokes and positive praise. There was still nippingon Obie's part.
My mum came over for my birthday last year (June) so we went out shopping, probably gone for 5 hours or so. Came back to see Pie and Obie in a pen together (Pie is a known jumper and can get out of pens very easily). They were sitting near each other looking very shell shocked and tense. There was fur everywhere! Obie had a big chunk of hair pulled out at his hip which had bled but no other bleeding anywhere.

So fast forward 9 months and decided it was time to give it a go again.
Went round a friends house last week tuesday for the initial 24hrs of bonding. Set up a pen, everything new of disinfected. Put them both in, waited for the war to start back up again and.......Nothing. I put some hay in a line so they could see each (Pie is stone deaf so she gets spooked easily by sudden appearances)
They proceeded to sit there for the next 24hrs and do nothing but eat, snooze and drink. Making mummy look and feel very stupid indeed :evil: :roll:
There was no humping, grooming, chasing, nipping, biting etc. Obie finally gave in and groomed Pie about 3 days into the bond (2 days back at home) and yesterday I saw her grooming him a little bit which was nice.

So now for the pictures!
First 10 minutes in together
55b3e791.jpg

a60f2479.jpg

After a few hours
3c99dd03.jpg

cf007d63.jpg

The next morning...
abb8b460.jpg

e106c254.jpg

At home, in new pen
4ac588cb.jpg

19c5bc68.jpg

Obie loves his Pie - Just before the first grooming session
bd50c354.jpg

RU we have grooming! :D
0813bfd0.jpg

Friends now
d72a0472.jpg

ad214e36.jpg

Chilling out together
787dec35.jpg

Tired buns
83600bfa.jpg

And finally, taken this morning. Flopped out together
057e4c11.jpg

Aww so beautiful :love: Just goes to show any good relationship needs time to blossom and a girl needs time to decide if she wants her man to move in with her. Hope they have many happy years together.

OMG I'm so, so, so, so happy for you. :love:
How wonderful for both of them and they look so love up!

That's fantastic!! Well done!!! Makes you wonder what goes on in their little heads and why they couldn't be friends from the start. You have done so well and really pleased that they are together now! They make a lovely couple!! Hope it continues really well,

Very cute piccies of them!! Love the one of them flopped out!! X

OMG what an epic - well done!
You must be so intensely relieved.
The buns look so happy & settled who would believe what you all went through.

Thanks a bunch everyone. Yes I am so relieved and happy. Now it's just a matter of having a trip hazard x2 running about! :lol:

It's so strange that after over a year it suddenly like they've been together always. Funny little creatures they are.

Back