• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions for those who board their buns

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you will know I am in the process of setting up some hutches for boarding. So fast the set up is as follows

7x2x2ft hutches with 2x2x1 sleeping area. This allows a resting place of the same size on top.
Hutch lined with lino.
50cm plastic dog bed for litter trays.
Bowl or bottle for water, bowl or scatter feed food.
Vet bed to lie on in the open area.
Hay in litter tray, sleepy area and ikea bag holder on the wall.
Insurance for vet bills, public liability, accidents whilst in my care.
Normal food, veg and hay supplied by me.

That's the essentials, everything can be disinfected with Trigene or washed at high temps between bunnies.

Now I am working on amusement. So far I have treat balls to feed part of their pellet reason that can also be disinfected. I have also ordered metal holders with replaceable wooden chews so the holder can be disinfected between buns and new chews added each time. Clients are all able to bring any toys etc that the buns are used to from home.

I am trying to balance cost effectiveness, bunny welfare and hygiene whilst providing a stimulating environment.

I would be grateful for your thoughts about what have I missed and what else can you think of to help meet this objective?

I would personally bring any toys with me and probably their fleeces too.

But maybe you could highlight that you have snugglesafes for colder nights? (if you have some!) Maybe some treats too... but the ones that come in big packets so that they would last longer and definetely some fenugreeks just in case any of us norty bunny mums forget ours!!!

You could get some of those metal balls which hang down - the ones you can put hay and treats in :)

Some tunnels too... The plastic ones from P@H as they could be disinfected and I know my buns love them!

Wouldn't really go for anything that you would need to replace often as it would work out expensive.

If you used your wooden hideouts for your runs, you could plasticote them... this would make them waterproof and they'd be easy to wipe down :)

ETA: Forgot to say... A first aid box may be a good idea too! :)

Last edited:
My two love this:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ruff-and-tuff-eggstraordinary-baffler-83805

It is a treat 'ball' but the egg shape makes it react differently to a normal ball. So far they haven't managed to break it as they did with the ones designed for rabbits which broke around the opening. And you can soak it completely or even put it in the dish washer because unlike the ones I had before, there isn't a spring to keep it closed just a twist lock in the plastic.

What about old washable blankets that buns can dig through then you can just throw them in the washing machine.

Spenser says that in the (admittedly unlikey!) event of me taking a holiday he would be very happy with the arrangements in place. :thumb:

Hi Ali, lots of great ideas already been given.

In the warmer months I have a good supply of lightweight, light coloured curtains which can be used to provide extra shade. I use sections from the play pens, pop them on top of housing making sure that they are secure, and at the front and or back, leave an overhang of around 1' secure the curtains with some pegs and this way it lets air circulate but offering shade. The curtains could also be soaked in cold water, well wrung out and then hung up. This way some of the air gets to be cooled which is another benefit to hot bunnies. (Good way of drying your washing!!!! I am joking.)

A good supply of old towels just in case you need to cool down an overheated bunny.To be doused in luke warm water and well wrung. Hopefully not needed.

Bear in mind that loppy eared bunnies do not seem to be able to disipate heat through their ears aswell as uppy eared bunnies.

I've tended to cool them down by administering very luke warm water gently massaged into their ears. Also a little at the back of their neck seems to help.

The bunny equivalent of us running our wrists under cool water to help cool us down.

If possible always have somewhere cool where an overheated bunny could be moved to.

Have a supply of empty pop bottles. You can fill them with water and then pop them in the freezer overnight. Not that any bunnies that have stayed with me have used these to cool themsleves down.:roll:

And obviously in doubt....I trip to the vets.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Back