• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How can I help Grim's eyes?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I want to take a photograph of his eyes to show you what they look like but they always just look black. If I use the flash it glows up and you can't see anything. So I'll try and describe what's going on.

His eyes are clouding over on the top layer, not inside like cataracts. But also skin seems to be growing over them, a very think, pink layer, I have no idea if it's his third eyelid or not.

He's had ulcers which have caused scarring on the eyes and on the eye lids. At least one on each eye. He has blocked tear ducts from his molar roots and often gets eye infections, most likely pasteurella. He's slowly going blind and often runs into things.

This isn't so much a medical question as he's been to the vets (more times than I care to remember :roll:) but I was wondering if anyone else has had a rabbit with these symptoms and what you did to help? I think his eyes are just f****d from infection. At the moment there is a lot of infection in his left tear duct. I think it's called the reservoir? I have to massage all the infection out and clean it before I give him chloramphenicol eye ointment.

He also seems to be intolerant of fucithalmic eye drops which caused his eyes to swell up horribly. It was months before I realised it was the eye drops casing it. :cry: So this may have something to do with the issues.

Poor Grim, he must have such a high pain threshold. Something is always wrong with him and he just carries on. He's looking a little brighter now. I had to move them inside as there was mould in the hutch and I wanted to treat it with bleach. But it seems to have perked him up being in my bedroom and he's been moving around a lot more.

I loves him. Smoo loves him too. :love:

Thanks, that was something my vet said I could do, but Grim hates anyone going near his face as obviously it's quite sore. So generally I syringe meds if I have to, do eye drops if I have to and keep it all to a minimum. Can viscotears be used straight after antibiotic eye ointment do you think? Otherwise it means stressing him out more. I think it might be worth it though, to keep his discomfort to a minimum.

If you have a toilet roll or kitchen roll, pop it over the flash and aim the tube above him, or round him for example, the extra light should show his eyes up, but not focus directly on them, which may hurt or temporarily blind him. Basically, it diffuses the effect of the flash and makes the room generally brighter - sometimes, firing the flash at the ceiling will do the job.

Vibes for Grim, i can;t help health wise, sorry.

Back