• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies escaped!!!!

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Was woken up this morning by Tom shouting 'The bunnies have escaped!!!'

Jumped out of bed and ran out. I hadn't locked the hutch doors properly :oops: Apparently you need to push them down until they touch the blocks of wood, which I didn't know! They'd gotten out into the run and dug up all the pebbles to make their escape!

Tom had seen Pumpkin but not Dexter. So, whilst Tom tried in vain to catch Miss Pumpkin... I went searching for Dexie. Heard some rustling in the outhouse (there's a hole in the bottom of the door), opened it up and Dexter came out to greet me :love: He let me pick him straight up for cuddles and I popped him back in the hutch.

Pumpkin was another story... Tried rattling the Fenugreek bag and she came running out but quickly realised my intentions so ran back behind the hutch! Tom and I had to put a long bit of wood down the back to try and make her back-up so I could grab her and then off she went back in the hutch!

It's just as well my garden is bunny proof, eh? And again, it was Sammy our Greyhound who alerted Tom to the escapees!

You need some padlocks because I doubt your garden is fox proof.

Padlocks was the next thing on the list... We were going this weekend! The shopping list had bolts, padlocks and mesh on it for putting under the pebbles for the moment until we can move them onto the concrete.

We live outside the city, in the countryside where food is plentiful for foxes so no one gets them in their gardens. That and we have fences either side of us as we have a terraced house. We have dogs on either side of us and a dog ourselves so the garden are always covered in dog wee... pretty off putting for foxes.

I know you can never be too safe though which is the reason for the padlocks etc. The first time the buns escaped they were in a different hutch. Plus, we've had 2 escapes in 18 months so we're not too bad!

I just didn't realise how loose the clips on the new hutch were so it'll be bolt and padlock buying tonight instead!

Glad everybun is OK. I got my padlocks and bolts from Wilkos, good choice and good prices :)

Really? I was in there this afternoon and didn't get to have a look as Phoebe fell and bumped her head quite badly :(

Shall pop in tomorrow though now if they have some!!! :D

And ach, they're always ok! Garden is too bunny proof for them to go anywhere and no foxes can get in due to next door. But... it is better to be safe than sorry which is why I'm getting those bolts anyway!

Back