• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free Ranging bunnies

Chopster

Warren Scout
I know it seems to be a contentious subject on here, but I can't bear to keep my bunnies locked up! Does anyone else free range?

The garden fencing is secure, and they have no interest in digging up near the fence, tho I am checking it regularly. They're in the process of digging a HUGE burrow under the playhouse and they love it. I can't see the back of it any more, so have to block it before I get them in for the night!

They are not really good hay eaters, so now mostly munching grass all day, plus bits from my veggie patch and herb pots! They were free ranging before I got them, so I don't think they like being cooped up all day. When I bring them in at night Sooty thumps her discontent for a good hour! I leave the patio door open, and they wander in and our of the house and round the garden as they like.

:wave: Sounds wonderful! I wish we could let Twinkle freerange outside, but we only do ths when we are with him because we have foxes in the area and our garden is not bunnyproof. He does have lots of space in the house though and outdoor runs:)

All of my 11 rabbits get free range time when I'm home and can supervise.

My garden is seriously bunny proof in terms of them being unable to dig under fences, high fences, and I have a full and clear view of where they are when they're out. I also have 3 dogs who patrol either out in the garden, or sit by the back doors, who let me know if any cat comes wandering by.
The rabbits also have access to get back into their sheds if they choose, and they have bolt holes in the garden for when things like helicopters fly over and freak them out.

I think so long as you are sensible, and don't leave them to their own devices, and are confident about the security oif your garden and the predators out there, then I think free ranging is the best you can offer your rabbit. They really dont get the same experience in a run or enclosure. They love to dig, eat, run, binky, and chill out in the sunshine when they're out, and to see them do a full bomb around the garden really is a joy. They get to exercise to the full when they are free.
I have tiny little rabbits that weigh less than 1kg and they give the most fantastic displays when they have their freedom.

My lot are free range, but they are free range house buns.
I know you say your fence is secure, but what about predators? Foxes can get over 6ft fences with ease, in fact they can get over most fences, they can also dig into your garden :?
Foxes will also hunt during the day especially if they are hungry.

Personally I feel free ranging rabbits un-supervised is too risky.

Hi Chopster

I have a rabbit that free-ranges during the day. Billy is six years old and has always been free-range. He has a shed where he sleeps at night and has access to it at all times during the day.

You are right, free-ranging is a contentious subject and the fact he free ranges (yes, unsupervised at times) has raised some "disapproving eyebrows" but this is completely understandable because there are risks. Free-ranging has worked for us because Billy never digs, shows no interest in escaping the garden, I have no dangerous/poisoness plants in my garden. He is as big, or bigger, than most of the cats in our neighbourhood and they tend to avoid him. He has become accustomed to noises such as loud motorcycles, helicopters, lawnmowers etc and it doesnt bother him. However, this will not be true of all rabbits and all neighbourhood cats and you may need to make an "assessment" of your own rabbits and other pets in the neighbourhood.

There is, of course, the risk of foxes. All I can say is that you need to make your own informed decision about this.

I also have pair of rabbits that have 24/7 access to a run and only free-range when supervised. This is mainly because Domino is disabled and Cookie is super-naughty. But, if Im entirely honest with you, I will think carefully about whether any future rabbits I have will live the lifestyle that Billy has. This is because I have become more informed over the years since I first got Billy. However, I dont think it would be fair on him to change things now. Also another downside to Billy free-ranging is that Ive been unable to adopt a new friend for him since his brother died last year because Rescues wont rehome to a free-ranging scenario.

My advice would be to make an informed decision when having all the facts in front of you. You may decide to let your's free-range unrestricted or you may decide to let them free-range when supervised. At the end of the day, its your decision, you dont need anyone elses approval, just do what you feel is best for you buns.

My bunny is free range all day in an 50ft x 12ft enclosed paved area - high walls and high gates at both ends, the hutch is in this area plus huge play things to hide in and shed he can get under as he is small. To see him running and leaping from one end to the other and all the exercise he gets is worth the small risk that a predator would get him. He cannot dig out obviously!

I do have a large lawn he could go on in a run but he hates hates being picked up it really stresses him so decided a happy stress free bunny was better than a bit of grass!

I rescued him from 3 years in a tiny cage with barely any daylight and its so lovely to see him running free. I make sure I put him to bed before dusk as we have owls in the area but I notice if he hears an owl he sits very very still very close to somewhere to hide.

Four of mine free-range in a fenced and walled area between my house any my neighbours (am in a terrace). I do know of the dangers but have had buns out there since I moved in to the house twelve years ago. My cats are often out there as well sleeping on top of the hutches.

My neighbours and I come and go throughout the day and the buns go to bed when it gets dark.

I accept I am taking a risk of them being attacked by a fox but they love the space and freedom.

In the summer the buns go on the grass - mostly in runs but sometimes free range if I am outside with them. I usually let Dylan free range as he is so easy to catch. The others can be a bit of a nightmare as my garden is very overgrown with lots of brambles.

I tend to put them out when I am gardening or sunbathing so I can watch them. I love just sitting looking at the the buns and cats all playing on the grass - bliss.

Mine are penned in but it's a reasonable sized enclosure that they can binky in and run about a little. They usually get supervised free range time a few times a week.
Personally I don't want to take the risk with free ranging mine largely because there are so many cats that come in our garden, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I just wouldn't be able to take the guilt if they were injured or killed by a cat or fox, or if they got toxoplasmosis(?) from the inevitable cat poo (we always go around and pick up any poo, then wash and cover the patches before letting the rabbits out).

did last year and when the whole family is in the garden, yes, but we have a fox den near our garden this year so not risking it:( they love it tho

I think it is prob the fox risk that worries me the most. We do have 6 ft fences, and the neighbour has had chickens free ranging with no problems, so hopefully there isn't a massive risk. I do wonder tho, if they saw a fox, surely they would head for cover? There is no way a fox would fit in their burrow? I've noticed if a large bird flies over they head for cover, and being home with the doors open I can hear if they are thumping a lot. I knwo there is still a risk, but I want them to have the best natural lifestyle they can.

Cats dont seem to be an issue. The neighbours cats have always marked our garden as their territory. Which drove me nuts until I got rabbits! But now, it means that no other cats come near our garden the the two that do, aren't the least bit interested in rabbits, already being used to various small fluffy things in their own home.

They are all stretched out under the patio table atm, so happy!

Ideally I think they would have a ginourmous pen, but seeing them binky 3 foot in the air, and run the length of the garden, I'd never get one big enough.

Actually, when i was using the pen, one got a fright and started to run around it, smashing her face into corners as she went round, I thought she was going to kill herself. We do have boxes and things in there for them to hide in, but she just ran. Anyone else had this?

Yes mine freerange when I'm home. Garden is bunny proofed. I have never seen a fox round here though that isn't to say there aren't any but I sort of think if the buns cant get out the fox will have a bit of trouble getting in. I also have neighbours who are in all day and keep an eye out. Personally I feel that for me the benefits outweigh the risks, nothing is better than seeing binkying buns and as most of mine are giants you just dont get that in a run not like freeranging

Foxes can dig, so if they could smell a rabbit in a burrow they would likely dig it out.
The problem is, everyone has "never had any problems with foxes" until the day they do have problems with them, and then it's too late.

we used to free range our chickens when I was a kid, and in about 10 years I think we had a fox attack twice. If you'd asked us the day before the first attack we'd have said "we've been free ranging them for 6 years with no problems" but it only took that one day and out chickens lost their lives.

I think it is prob the fox risk that worries me the most. We do have 6 ft fences, and the neighbour has had chickens free ranging with no problems, so hopefully there isn't a massive risk. I do wonder tho, if they saw a fox, surely they would head for cover? There is no way a fox would fit in their burrow? I've noticed if a large bird flies over they head for cover, and being home with the doors open I can hear if they are thumping a lot. I knwo there is still a risk, but I want them to have the best natural lifestyle they can.

Cats dont seem to be an issue. The neighbours cats have always marked our garden as their territory. Which drove me nuts until I got rabbits! But now, it means that no other cats come near our garden the the two that do, aren't the least bit interested in rabbits, already being used to various small fluffy things in their own home.

They are all stretched out under the patio table atm, so happy!

A fox could easily dig into the burrow to get at them

Given that it's taken three buns a week to dig out the burrow to the point I can't see the back of it, surely a fox wouldn't be able to get in it very quickly?

I am home and can see them at all times. granted, I'm not watching them constantly, but I am keeping an eye on them.

Given that it's taken three buns a week to dig out the burrow to the point I can't see the back of it, surely a fox wouldn't be able to get in it very quickly?

I am home and can see them at all times. granted, I'm not watching them constantly, but I am keeping an eye on them.

I think you need to weigh up the pros and cons. To me the pros outweight the cons but maybe if I lived in the countryside where I knew there were foxes around that would be a different matter. And to get into my garden foxes would have to go through other peoples gardens first and through a housing estate. A fox could get in but then again I could die in a car crash but I'm not going to stop travelling in one just cause it might happen.

foxes dig much more quickly that rabbits - they've evolved to be good at digging their way in to things. Your rabbits are also domestic rabbits, so probably don't dig as quickly as their wild cousins.

The biggest risk of foxes is at night, and without meaning to sound callous a fox would likely go for your neighbours chickens over your rabbits so I would think the risk of free ranging your bunnies in the daytime while you're keeping an eye out is low. You just need to be aware that there is a risk nonetheless and take that in to consideration.

It takes foxes 5-10 mins to dig out a burrow, they are very quick :(

But as others have said it is up to you to weigh up the risks.

I think you need to weigh up the pros and cons. To me the pros outweight the cons but maybe if I lived in the countryside where I knew there were foxes around that would be a different matter. And to get into my garden foxes would have to go through other peoples gardens first and through a housing estate. A fox could get in but then again I could die in a car crash but I'm not going to stop travelling in one just cause it might happen.

I believe the risk of foxes is actually lower in the countryside as there is a lot of wildlife and many farms don't protect their livestock particularly well from foxes due to the expense. In towns and cities there is less food so foxes will go to greater lengths to get their hands on some. A friend of mine in a town lost his rabbits to foxes, and he was in the middle of a terrace and the rabbits were in a hutch.:(

I do agree with you though, there are small risks to everything we do. We weigh it up and decide if it's worth the risk. Some people will never consider any risk to be worth it, others would take quite a large risk in order to give their rabbits a better standard of living.

Luckily there are no foxes who hang around where I am. I let my bunnies free range when I am around and they love it. Of course there are always risks but when I see how much they enjoy the free range time I think it's worth it rather than never getting out or getting out into a much smaller space. I always think there are risks with anything you do, however if i were in an area where foxes frequent I'm not sure I would be of the same opinion :?

Back