• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My little Marges teeth :-(

Anniebirdy

Alpha Buck
I have a dilemma :?
My precious little Marge has dental problems. Most of her back teeth were removed whilst she was in the loving care of Freshfields sanctuary. In fact, they were in such a state the infection and problems caused by her unspeakable neglect from her past caused her to even lose an eye. Marge has had a number of surgical procedures due to the ongoing problems the neglect caused.
Now my dilemma is this. I really think my little Marge needs at least one front tooth removing. Her vet said it could come to this. One of her front nommers is very much out of line and constantly has to be trimmed back or burred back. She's a good, gentle little bun and is easy to treat, but TBH I think this is just because she has endured so much in her sad little life that she has just given up struggling or resisting, knowing it's just futile :cry: (Jeez, just writing about my animals pasts makes me cry)
So, should i ask my vet to finally rid her of this tooth? I feel if one goes, it will lead to problems with the others, so maybe they all need to come out.
However I know that even with good and careful pain management, this will still cause her (short term) possible extreme discomfort and stress, although long term free her of these constant dentals. Im not overly worried about the G.A, my vets are wonderful, and have even G.A'd one of my tiny budgies safely and successfully, so although I am fully aware of the risks, I have total, utmost trust in them.
Poor marge has been through multiple surgeries, only to still have the need for ongoing interference.
What do I do? And how will I know that the decision I make is the very best possible decision I could make for her? I just want to end her troubles once and for all, she has been through enough. More than enough.
The thing is also, which is stressing me out even more, sue to a horrific incident (I shall share this later) concerning myself, I know all to well about the agony of troubled dental problems, but also (through ten years of surgery to rebuild and then create a new lower face for myself) I know the agony extensive surgery can also bring forth.
Please guide me, as my own relations with extremely invasive maxilo surgery is really getting in the way of me making the correct decision for my little innocent.

If the GA is not a worry, I would opt for taking them all out if the vet feels he can do that. As you say removing one will cause problems with the other wearing down which may then lead to more op's which you understandably don't want for her. For some bunnies it seems to cause them very little stress or discomfort. One of mine was eating hay within an hour of coming round when he had his incisors removed!

Many of ours have theirs burred regularly because of their age or other health issues which make a GA a high risk and some of them are now being burred every 2 weeks :( If I could i would opt for removal as they are becoming increasingly stressed by the burrings.

Obviously there is always a risk of fragments being left behind causing a tooth to grow back at a later date, but I think the risk of this happening does outweigh the benefits of getting it done.

At the end of the day only you and your vet can decide whats right for your girl given her health and history and I wish you luck what ever you decided

Only you can make the decision, but I would tend to agree with what Liz has said and have Marge's incisors out.

My Herbie (who sadly passed away in January) was a gummy bunny and once he had learned how to pick up food without his front teeth, there was no stopping him. I just had to make sure that I prepared all his veg in an easy to eat way (carrot in little cubes, cabbage in thin strips etc).

Good luck with whatever you decide is best for little Marge. :wave:

Thankyou everyone, it does help hearing the views of other bunny people regarding dentals :thumb: She has an appointment with Ian, one of her vets this evening at 6.15. I'll tell him my concerns and take it from there with a more at ease heart now. My vets are brilliant, and Ian even draws diagrams on a whiteboard for me to show me exactly what things involve, possible problems, everything.
I certainly jumped right in at the deep end with my two, one deaf and braindamaged and often in need during the first year of his life of extensive nursing.. And then little Marge with all her problems, bless her! Wouldn't swap them for the entire world and a penny though :) They have taught me so much. Turned me grey almost in the meantime, but fantastic little teachers :D

I agree with removing them all.
My Grim has missing molars and no inscisors and manages fine.
Due to tooth root problems he now eats only soggy pellets (soaked in cold water for a few minutes) and this seems to have reduced the time between dentals.

Wishing her and you luck.

Back