• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sorry for maybe stupid question- re GI Stasis.

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
Sorry as it may seem obvious but how do you know if a bun is in stasis or going into stasis?
Im always worried about Hitley but as weve been moving weve been making some banging noises which seems to have stressed him a bit; for the last couple of days he has definately not pooed as much as normal and seems miserable; Ive been brushing him but I cant get a good look at his bottom or feel his belly; its seems to stress him even more.
Hes eaten a bit but not as much as normal; he has eaten some hay, parsley, a small amount of apple and some of what I cal 'treat; food, I cant tell if hes eaten any pellets and I left him some pinapple to eat.
How would I know if he was bloated?
he is weeing the same as normal; his poos dont seem to be so uniform either; some are small and some seem really big :(
I thought he may be stressed but this evening I have been worried....

He might be a bit stressed.

Afaik if food is going in and coming out, he should be ok - just try to cut down the stress and get him back up to his usual food levels and normal poo.

Try hiding his herbs in the hay etc to get him really interested.

He might be a bit stressed.

Afaik if food is going in and coming out, he should be ok - just try to cut down the stress and get him back up to his usual food levels and normal poo.

Try hiding his herbs in the hay etc to get him really interested.

Thanks :), Ive been keeping a close eye on him!I find out of my two rabbits he seems to be the most sensitive to changes and the most worrisome of the two; poor boy!

Refusing food, not wanting to move around and sitting in obvious pain (strange positions, belly to the floor etc)

I have posted on here before about strange episodes with my bunny that resolve in a few hours. He seems to fit this description a bit in that he won't eat and seems uncomfortable, laying out then sittting up alternately which he does not normally do, but he falls asleep as well which would be strange if he was in pain. On two occasions I have rushed him to the vet and as soon as he is moved he comes to life and is totally fine. The vet could find nothing wrong with him either time after thorough check, listened to tummy, temp, manual exam etc etc.

I now just leave him when he is like this and watch and usually within 4 hours he is back to normal, it is as if he suddenly comes to and then rushes around and eats everything in sight.

He has been doing this on and off for the 18 months I have had him so assume its behavioural but who knows!

Thanks for all the replies peeps Im really grateful, today I came over to my new house and bought him with me and put him in his temporary run on the grass so I could keep an eye on him and was pleased to see that he ate some grass and was drinking plenty; I didnt see him do any poos though; but I find this normal for him when he changes environment; after a couple of hours I took him back home and he was jumping about as normal but did not see him use his litter tray, he seems to be weeing but I think he senses the move and is just not settled at the moment; this weekend we are doing up the shed to be his bunny kingdom and Im hoping he will settle when he moves in here at the beginning of april :)

Back