• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stop the development of Watership Down

So people shouldn't get houses because a fictional book was set in a particular place?

I agree a fictional book but based on reality. I am sad to see the loss of our countryside, while there still are so many empty properties that could still be brought back into use.

So people shouldn't get houses because a fictional book was set in a particular place?

I think the point is that there are other sites in the area that are ripe for development and they are being totally overlooked. I dont live there but do know the area and its a real shame. There are so few places left to the wild now and this area is a haven in a very built up borough, I myself used to walk around this area when I was living in 'suburbia' and its a beautiful place. People need houses, but there are other options, we shouldnt just say ah well we need more houses lets just build them there, before long there will be nowhere left, i thought that was the point of having greenbelt land!!! :(

I agree a fictional book but based on reality. I am sad to see the loss of our countryside, while there still are so many empty properties that could still be brought back into use.

this :thumb: there are plenty of houses around as you say that are empty and could easily be done up for a family, and also all i see these days on every spare bit of land s building houses, behind us, we have now lost our beautiful field views, as they have bult on the spare land, they have crammed that many houses n back to back, ts unreal, and some windows will look directly onto brick walls, thats how crammed in they are

The book is fictional but whilst houses remain empty, people like myself are facing eviction and many rural homes are only occupied for weekends, no there shouldn't be more homes built on greenbelt land.
At some point it has to stop, and I think that bulldozing the setting of a book that warned about such travesty is a slap in the face for anyone who has tried to stop the concrete invasion.
Like it or not we need farmland to remain just that, FARM land. unless we evolve to eat concrete.

This is terrible! :( I have always had plans that if and when I could travel to the UK I would put the Down on my itinerary. I used to dream that I might relocate to the British Isles and most importantly because you all still have so much beautiful countryside to enjoy.

They shouldn't do this. It was what drove the rabbits from the warren in the story...how many creatures will lose their habitat in real life?
Yes, people need places to live, but that's not just a matter of space...it's politically driven economic hardship that is to blame as well. There must be other options.

Quite frankly I'm surprised this area hasn't been made a refuge or a monument to Adams' contribution to literature. Could that be accomplished...for historical reasons perhaps?

Can anyone sign this petition? ETA: Oh! I've been to this site before. Done and done!

Back