• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

One of our rabbits has been killed, how do I help the other one?

SarahG71

New Kit
Hi

I'm new to the forum but really need some help. We have two female Lionhead rabbits, sisters aged five that we've had since they were tiny.
We let them roam in the garden during the day in good weather but last night, before it was even dark, a fox got in. It appears that it chased them - Ruby got back into the cage safely but it appears the fox caught the back legs of Max. I saw the fox leaving our garden as I got home, so was in the garden presumably within minutes of the attack but Max was dead in the cage, already stiff. Ruby was sat close to her sister just watching. The injuries were not significant so we're presuming she died of shock?
My children are heartbroken (and we feel so angry that if we'd been home a few minutes earlier it might not have happened). My daughter spent a long time cuddling Max's body but we didn't put it back in the cage. We plan to bury her tonight but should we put the body back with Ruby first so she understands - or will that few minutes she spent with her have been enough?

Also, should we look to get her a companion in the coming weeks or will she be ok on her own?

Any advice welcomed.
Thank you
Sarah

Sorry for your loss

I should imagine the fox will be back now it knows your buns are there. Could you bring remaining bun inside for a while?

I would def leave her with her sister for a little while as she may not understand where she's gone.

A companion bun may be a good idea, but I would set up a secure/fox proof run first so buns aren't unsupervised in the garden. Unfortunately, it's not just foxes that pose a threat, but cats, dogs & birds of prey too.

If you get a companion, your existing female will need spaying first if not already - if you get from a rescue, they will have an already neutered male & may help with bonding

I'm really sorry this had happend to you and the bunnies! :( Binky Free Max.

Prehaps you could put Max's body with Ruby for a bit more(I'm not sure haven't got any experience I'm afraid!)?

Eventually it would proberbly be best to get a nice rescue bunny and try and bond her with Ruby.

Welcome to the forum btw. :wave:

Xx

Thank you both.
Max and Ruby have a large fox-proof cage so while we know the fox will probably come back Ruby will be safe in there and we won't let her out unsupervised anymore. :cry:
I think we will definitely give her some more time with Max before we bury him. She seemed to know last night, guarding his body until we got there and looked at us in such a heartbreaking way. The rabs really belong to my daughter, who is totally devoted to them but I'm surprised I feel this emotional. I just feel so sad and worried for Ruby.

We support a local sanctuary so we will definitely talk to them about getting her a buddy soon.
Thanks again

:cry: I am so very sorry for your loss, so sad.

If you are burying your bunny in the garden make sure it is very deep as the fox may come back and try to dig her up if they can smell her.

:cry: I am so very sorry for your loss, so sad.

If you are burying your bunny in the garden make sure it is very deep as the fox may come back and try to dig her up if they can smell her.

I am so sorry to hear about Max, what a sad story.

I agree with the above post, although not nice to think about a fox still comes to try & dig up our cat that was buried about 3-4 feet down about 4 years ago and has concrete slabs surrounding him under-ground, their noses must be phenomenal.

I hope Ruby is ok.x.x.

Back