• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

holland lop/ mini lop

Grattbaby

Young Bun
i have a question.
im really wanting a holland lop. i came across them a few weeks back and havent stopped looking for them since!
everyone in england has told me mini lops are the same thing. but when i google all other sites say there different. iv spoke with so many breeders and american ones say that there completly different and mini lops are twice the size, and english breeders say that they are the same.
who is right??

we are. (actually, i know little about it, but many people here will know everything).

does it matter? my original mini-lops are from show stock and are quite big - tabitha has a pointy nose a bit like a dwarf lop, too. but we know their history for generations because the lady i got them from is :oops: a breeder :oops: (not for random sales but for her own show lines). before you ask, no, i don't show and i don't think it's great fun for animals.

anyway, my two more recent family members are both mini-lops and with strong mini-lop features, are much smaller. cecile bun bun is about the same weight as a decent netherland dwarf.

they're all mini lops.

if you're on a lop-hunt, you might want to check out a german lop, which i have heard is bigger.

i think the root of your problem is in the english language. sometimes uk and usa seem to be speaking the same language but the words have different meanings. john, for example. and ....well, i can't put the other one i thought of, i'd get an infraction.

my mini lop would be an american's holland lop, i'm pretty sure.
but someone who really knows will come along soon.

however, if you're starting out with rabbits as pets, don't. get a big fluffy syrian hamster. rabbits are messy, destructive, expensive to keep and a total worry. they need to be spayed and vaccinated. and they live fifteen years. they need to live in pairs or larger groups. and they are addictive - when you have a pair you'll want more.

ooh, now i've seen your other post and the replies!

Last edited:
There are different names for the lops in the UK and US.

Here we have a mini lop, but the equivalent sized bunny in the US would be known as a Holland lop. They do also have mini lops in the US but they're bigger than the mini lops here in the UK and we would call them dwarf lops.

It all pure confuses me especially when you throw a netherland dwarf in the mix :?

Holland and mini lops a certainly alike (dunno bout sizing though)

But i hear that nethies are smaller than them :/

EDIT: Just googled holland lop and got exact replicas of my mini lop Clover :)

photo5.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 mini lops and as you can see - one is bigger than the other! She is a couple of months older but they are both still small for lops.

I don't think it matters either way, I wanted small rabbits so I searched for "mini lops" on Google / rehome websites etc in my local area.

From my experience most breeders don't agree on what's what anyway!

P1030046.jpg

Mini Lops in the UK are Holland Lops in the US
Dwarf Lops in the UK are Mini Lops in the US

Nethies are smaller than Mini Lops (if we stick to the breed standard size) but Polish rabbits are smaller than Nethies (I believe)

Nethies are smaller than Mini Lops (if we stick to the breed standard size) but Polish rabbits are smaller than Nethies (I believe)

this :thumb:
polish are more slender then netherland dwarfs, akthough weight around the same

Thankyou guys your help.
I'm not meaning to sound insensitive when I say I want them to b small. I currently have 4 rabbits all of whom are larger breeds. If I get another I would have to get smàll as although our garden and house are bigger than average the space is running out!!! So to whoever say love them for the size they are it's got nothing to do with love.
It's purely me wanting to be the best mom I could be.
I think I'm going to be looking for mini lips. It's just so confusing!!!

AFAIK there is not that big a difference in size between mini and dwarf. And even small rabbits need plenty of space (roughly 50 sq ft), in fact small nethies need more cos they can be very active!

Last edited:
To Laura. They are the cutest things ever!!!
There exactly what iv been looking for!!!
So adorable :)

Aww thank you :) I love them very much I have to tell you...! If they're living outside I would say get mini lops like mine rather than dwarves. I think dwarves are considerably smaller and prefer to be inside. Where abouts are you? I know the breeder I got mine from (Doncaster) has got a couple of litters due and she's got some 2 week old kits at the moment - www.lots-a-lops.co.uk that's their website with contact details etc on :)

Thanks love. I'm in chesterfirld. Iv emailed her and I'm going to have a look to see them!!! Very excited!!!

I've had hollands (mini in the UK) and minis (dwarf in the UK) and there is at least a couple of pounds difference. Rusty, my holland, was about 3 lbs and my minis were about 5.5 lbs, maybe 6 lbs for some of them.

I really love both :)

This is spot on

our mini lops for show must be under 3lb8 but most average around 3lb which is less (i am told) than the US holland lops

likewise our dwarf lops are slightly smaller than the american mini lops (which are half way between our german lops and our dwarf lops)

however many mini lops sold on as pets will not be as small around 1 in 3 mini lops born does not carry the dwarfing gene and is therefore larger (often very similar in size to the dwarf lops) which is where the confusion often arises

although the weight of poles and nethies are similar in the standard netherlands are usually at the very top end of their weight limit and polish are generally a lot smaller, they are much lighter and generally a lot healthier but a lot more naughty/active

Why not consider rehoming a young adult rather than looking at babies? Then you would know what size you are getting. :)

I have mini lops, one is 1.3 kgs, the other two are both over 2 kgs!

Back